NEGATIVE DRAWING: Part 2

Join a discussion, suggest suitable subjects, or ask Mike questions about the videos.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

NEGATIVE DRAWING: Part 2

Post by Mike Sibley »

Hi Everyone,

I owe you an apology and explanation of why the next video is so late!

It's the final Negative Drawing of the three... but I stalled close to the end.

I suddenly realised that it's not just Negative Drawing - it's THE WAY I WORK. So it has to include other aspects, such as working dark to light, and background to foreground.

I've felt for a while that it needs a demonstration to bring everything together. One that explains as many aspects of "my way" that I can fit in.

This is the image I'll be working with:
COMP5-dwm.jpg
I'll briefly walk you through the way the composite composition was put together. And then complete the drawing while explaining everything along the way. But, that takes time. Sorry.

Please give me a week to complete it and probably another week for the voiceover and editing. I think you'll find the wait worthwhile.

Thanks for your patience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Re: NEGATIVE DRAWING: Part 2

Post by Laurene »

Ok, you have my attention! I can wait as long as you need for the chance to see your thought process in putting together this composition! I’m always fascinated by this subject.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:47 am I can wait as long as you need for the chance to see your thought process in putting together this composition!
Well, I'll put this part in writing, because it's not my usual approach :) I usually just dive into the background... but this is a DEMO, so I want to be able to explain what I'm doing, which requires a little planning. Also, because I'm filming, I have to draw flat and not angled towards me. That means I often can't fully see what I'm doing, due to the glare from the video lights.

I played around with ideas last night. I'll do the same this morning. Then I'll begin drawing and filming this afternoon.

I would have begun this morning but... we have a new member of the family - MIA. She's a 19-month-old woolly German Shepherd Dog. A real poppet most of the time, no malice in her, but pulls like a double-header diesel train on the lead. So this morning was Day 1 of training ;)
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I would have begun this morning but... we have a new member of the family - MIA. She's a 19-month-old woolly German Shepherd Dog.
Congratulations on the new clan member! They demand a lot of attention at that age, don’t they. LOL!
... pulls like a double-header diesel train on the lead
I love that description! I immediately had a mental image of you and Mia on your early morning walk. :D

A propos of nothing in particular, Mia is my cat’s name too. I adopted her 2 years ago as a senior. Best estimate is she was 10 years old at the time. Her name is the only thing they have in common though. Not a hint of diesel train in my Mia. Her superpowers are sleeping ( preferably on my lap) and eating.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

What, pray tell is a:
woolly German Shepherd Dog
...woolly like a poodle? So it is a German Shepherd with a poodle type coat? 🐩
... and can we have a picture please?

and looking forward to Neg Draw Part 2!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Nothing to do with poodles. A "woolly" is a long coated GSD :D

Like this one (yes, this is Mia, who isn't feeling very photogenic today):
MIA-1.jpg
And now I'm going back into the studio to continue the demonstration drawing. This is as far as I got yesterday:
DAY-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

DAY 2: Progress but not as much as I would have liked - other essential business got in the way. Today I have to be out of the studio, but I'll be back drawing this evening.

At the same time that I'm drawing, I'm recording my thoughts, and explaining my actions. The plan was to edit this down to around ten minutes for the Negative Drawing part 2 video.

That still stands, but now I'm thinking of producing a separate video just on this drawing - with all the stages, thoughts, planning, shading, erasing, and everything else involved.

Anyone interested in that? Especially you guys who read everything here but never post... go on, break the silence and let me know :)

Progress so far:
DAY-2.jpg
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Mia looks like a real sweetheart. That longer hair makes them look like a completely different breed, doesn’t it? I love her wild and free look!

Well, I vote for a dedicated video. I’m looking at those deep rich darks in the foliage and would love to see the process first hand. To anyone reading this thread, if you feel the same way, let Mike know!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

DAY 4: Progress so far. It's taking longer than I anticipated...
DAY-4.jpg
...but part of each day has to be spent repairing my studio. The porch roof was flat, and east winds would blow rain UP the roof and (unnoticed until recently) it's been seeping into the ceiling and walls.
studio-porch.jpg
I'm turning it into a sloping roof that's connected to the main roof of the studio. I also, as you can see, haven't got time to keep mowing the grass! :)

I need to complete the roof, because I'm seriously considering resuming workshops here in September. I need ALL the Covid-19 restrictions to be lifted, and there is a good chance that might have happened by then.

That said, I'll be back in the studio later today and all of this evening progressing the demonstration.
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

DAY 4: Progress so far. It's taking longer than I anticipated...
Isn’t that always the case? :lol: As you always tell us, speed doesn’t matter, only the final result does and this is stunning so far! You have so many subtle variations of value in the foliage. I’m just happy to be able to follow along with you.

That roof looks like a big job. Be careful up there!