Another Thornbill

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Boblines

Another Thornbill

Post by Boblines »

This little fellow in a garden gum tree ( Eucalyptus). Bristol 205gr paper with H-8B Derwent pencils. I lost brightness in the eye but remedied it with a tiny touch of white acrylic paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boblines

Re: Another Thornbill

Post by Boblines »

I should point out: actual size 6 x 9 inches.

RobB

Post by RobB »

Busy image lots to study and observe difficult drawing

Rob

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Another lovely drawing! The background is complex but doesn’t compete with the main subject at all. The thornbill is nestled nicely in the tangle of leaves yet stands out very clearly for us to enjoy.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I like to study the whole picture, where my eyes goes everywhere...
I'm especially enjoying the complicated background , where I can sense good attention to the details, shadows and your great skills to achieve kind of 3 dimensional look, by applying the deep shadows and playing nicely with the highlights.
I think the bird, even though nicely drawn, shows lack of that attention to the details to make it more three dimensional, but forgive me if I'm wrong, it might be down to the photo you've uploaded, and on your original drawing it can look perfectly fine.
Looking at this uploaded photo, I have feeling the bird looks flat compared to the background, if you know I mean.
I think, if you just spent a short time improving the tonal difference here and there, you could shape the body of the bird even better.
Anyway it's well drown art, and I enjoy the whole composition and appreciate your attention to the details 👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*