BILLY the Shetland

Your latest work is in print? You have an upcoming workshop? Your cat's had kittens... Tell us YOUR NEWS!
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

BILLY the Shetland

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'll catch up on posts tomorrow. Today, I regret to tell you, I had to bury Billy. My neighbour has a mini-digger but Sod's Law says it's out working when you need it :) I surprised myself - a five feet deep hole and the burial completed in under four hours. Bits of me now ache that I didn't know existed :roll:

If you've been to my studio workshops you'll probably remember little Billy. Red and white Shetland and an absolutely loveable little lad. He was the lowest in the horse pecking order and my favourite. Between us, we used to outsmart the others, so he got treats that they didn't ;)

Badger, Billy, Ben... and Dolly rolling bottom right.
BILLY.jpg
Billy laid down a week ago and couldn't get back up. The vet could find nothing wrong, but we put him in the donkey's paddock to keep an eye on him. I'm no weightlifter, but I could just lift him by tail and mane back onto his feet. He was in all other respects healthy and enjoying the attention. Then I checked on him at 1am this morning, noticed that he'd laid down again, and very quickly knew he'd died. He was, we think, about 36. So he had a good long life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Re: BILLY the Shetland

Post by Laurene »

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Mike. I never had the pleasure of attending your studio workshops, but I do know how much you and Jenny care for all animals, and of course especially your own.

We all know how attached we are to our animals but are always shocked at how deep those feelings really reach when we lose one of our companions. They so easily steal a piece of our hearts. Billy was lucky that he had you and Jenny to look out for him and give him such a good life in his older years, and I'm sure you both feel lucky to have had the privilege of caring for him.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

RIP Billy.
36 is a good long life, but he will still be sadly missed.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Thank you. He'll certainly be missed. He had a big heart and was always a pleasure to be with. And, being the bottom of the heap, he had more than his fair share of cuddles to compensate :) He and I got on very well.

Bill and Ben came to live with us many years ago. I've forgotten the details. But they've had a good life... and Ben still does of course - although I always expected Bill to go first.

Anyone who has connected "Bill and Ben" with "Bill and Ben The Flowerpot Men".... well, that's why I began to call him Billy, I was fed up explaining that we didn't name them, and YES they probably were named after the Flowerpot men :roll:
Mike Sibley

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

"Weeeeeeed!"

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:03 pm "Weeeeeeed!"
Almost.... :)

"Little Weeeeeeeeed"

to be more accurate, followed by...

"Flubberlub"

which is as close as I can get to anything those two ever said... :D

Those were the days! When proper puppets had proper strings... :roll:
Mike Sibley

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Oh Mike....that is so sad. Sorry for your loss, I was happy to read that you sneaked him extra treats! Even at such a good old age it is still so difficult to lose them. ......
I definitely remember the flowerpot men!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Thanks, Elaine. Even though Billy was in his thirties his death was still unexpected. He seemed to be improving, and we were talking about putting him back into the field with the others. He'd been up (well, not down) for over 24 hours, so it was possible he could get himself up again if he laid down. Then I checked on him at 1am and I knew he was dead before I reached him. There were no signs of him having moved or struggled, so I think he simply slipped down and died, or died and fell over. Either way it was probably very quick.

He was the loveliest, gentle little chap, and I do miss him.
Mike Sibley