kookaburra or inn local tounge "Wiradjuri guuguubarra,"

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: kookaburra or inn local tounge "Wiradjuri guuguubarra,"

Post by Mike Sibley »

Boblines wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:44 am I prefer the texture of cartridge paper notwithstanding its deficiencies and am uncomfortable with ultra smooth surfaces. Have you had experience with Arches hot pressed papers (I haven't) and if so would you recommend them? Hilberry in the USA speaks of them on his YouTube channel.
I know JD (JDHillberry.com) tends to look at his intended drawing, decides which is the predominant texture, and chooses his paper accordingly. He also deliberately flattens the tooth in areas where the surface texture might be a distraction. He does that by lightly rubbing it with the rounded top of a pencil.

I've always taken the other path. I prefer a paper as devoid of texture as possible, so any textures you see are those I created. That I found my "ideal" paper early is both a blessing and a curse. I was mightily pleased to find it, but now I know very little about other papers.

I did once work on Strathmore 300 smooth. It felt smooth. It looked smooth. But it still left my shiny leaves looking like velvet, due to its visible tooth.

Many years ago I used to draw on cartridge paper, and all of my time at art college. That's partly because I'm old enough that there weren't suitable alternatives available - at least, not to impoverished students :)

I can only advise you to keep trying a variety of different papers until you find one (or more) that suit the way you like to draw.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Re: kookaburra or inn local tounge "Wiradjuri guuguubarra,"

Post by rideum51 »

I may go on a limb here but I want to offer my thought. I love the drawing and the composition. What I think it wants to be is either a very soft little contrast drawing or as others have offered, more contrast. Both would complete a stunning drawing, in my mind.