Winter Sparrow

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
RobB

Re: Winter Sparrow

Post by RobB »

Quick visit from me - looking good and not a bad drawing also
lol

Rob

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I’m glad you’re back to drawing Arthur!

Hi Rob! Thanks for dropping by.

This drawing is just about finished. Will post final image soon.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I'm glad to hear that you can find space in your life for drawing again Artur. As they say, life has a way of getting in the way of art sometimes. We have to put our energy where it's needed first.

I'm calling this finished now. This is a proper scan, not a cell phone photo, so the contrasts are closer to the original although the darks are not quite as dark on my actual drawing. I'm not entirely satisfied that the background is as blended as it could be, but I think that I've taken this one about as far as I can. Thank you for following along!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Lovely art indeed....
Your strong point is great composition skills, good eye to make the features work for you.
I can notice nice balance within, the branch is spreading wider at its left, to gently make an arrow towards the bird....
The viewer can enjoy the whole from side to side, then rest his eyes on to softly blended background.
Very nice, detailed drawing, and I'm appreciate it's in graphite 🤘🤠

*I did complain about my insufficient resting time between duties (I've finished past midnight yesterday, just to start 8:45am today...
I said I'm just after 7days of late duties that I finish around midnight hours, and I'm getting up tired every morning, so how can I safely driving the bus with people early morning after coming back nearly at 1 o'clock...?
There's no enough time for me to be fit for another duty until 5pm?
If we consider the commute time to come back home late time, and then to get to work next day morning, then how can I get rested?
They have cancelled today's duty for me, so I just been resting all day....
Very upsetting, I will talk to my manager about such duties, to see if he may help to avoid this situation in future...
I'm waiting for my two days off this Tue and Wed, so I will have enough time to enjoy drawing my art 😉
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

This is a super result! Everything works just as expected with bags of clearance between the foreground and background. I also like the way the branch flows into the bird - it seems to "belong" there rather than perching.

Great composition too. Especially that subtle bent twig to the bird's right that stops my eye going out of the frame at that side (coupled with the inward-leaning spike to its right). It's also true-foreround, which adds a tiny "barrier" between me and the bird. It makes me feel more of an onlooker than a potential threat... poorly explained, but I hope you can see what I'm trying to get at.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I’m sorry to hear about your stressful work schedule Artur. I agree, it doesn’t seem very safe to me either. I hope they listen to your concerns. And thanks for the kind words concerning my drawing.

Thank you Mike! Your words mean a lot to me. I especially appreciate that you focused on that inward leaning spike. This is a simple composition with only 2 elements, the sparrow and the branch, so I spent a long time experimenting with placement. When I added that spike, the whole composition felt right to me. I did it instinctively, but that bit created another level of depth as well as redirecting the viewer back to the sparrow.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:12 pm And thanks for the kind words concerning my drawing..
You welcome 🤘🤠
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*