Winter Sparrow

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Laurene

Winter Sparrow

Post by Laurene »

I've gone back to paper and pencil for this one. It's 10 inches by 5 inches on Mellotex paper and I'm using 2H, HB, and 2B leads as well as graphite powder for the background.

I imagine I'm not the only artist here experiencing the frustration of aging eyes. I taught myself to draw on an ipad using procreate because of this. I noticed that because the screen is illuminated from below the drawing surface, I'm able to see much more easily. The possibility of zooming in as much as I want was another bonus of course.

I tried to mimic those conditions here, by placing my drawing paper on a light table that has an adjustable light source. I can adjust the intensity to suit my needs. I also found a magnifying glass that I clamp to the side of my drawing table. It has an adjustable goose neck which allows me to place it where needed. This gives an idea of how my set-up looks.

It's working quite well for me so I thought I'd share it here in case it can help anyone else facing the same frustrations.
DWM - LSpino-Winter Sparrow 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Winter Sparrow

Post by Laurene »

I don't have proper scans of my progress, but here are digital photos showing what I've done so far. It's a simple composition that depends on contrast and icy branches to bring the attention toward the sparrow. At least, that's the plan :roll:

The inspiration comes from my cat who noticed a sparrow sitting on icy branches out the bedroom window on a grey winter day. I ran for my camera but of course the sparrow had flown away. I took photos of the branches anyway, and substituted one of my other sparrow references that I've actually used before and fit it into the scene. Then I moved the branches around to fit within the composition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I love the composition! The offset sparrow looking back over its shoulder... do birds have shoulders? :roll: ... works really well.

Ageing eyes... same problem here. Mainly just floaters in my left eye. They're a sod when I'm trying to swat a fly!!!! I can't tell which is fly and which is floater :)

I've been working on a demonstration for the next video this evening, and I really can't concentrate for more than a couple of hours now without my vision blurring. I'll complete it tomorrow. And, hopefully, I'll release the video this weekend.

Thanks for your "backlit" and magnifier tip. I can see that working really well.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Mike! I know what you mean about floaters. Sometimes I swat flies when there aren't any there. That gets me some pretty funny looks when I'm out in public! lol

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Love your solution to ageing eyes, Laurene! I have to take a break at regular intervals now and focus on the outside world. It seems to take my eyes longer and longer to adjust these days.
Your little sparrow is delightful. Lucky to have them visit! Our family moved away about the time the new neighbor arrived with cats...
Great contrast happening here. Nice work.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Linda! It's slow going but there's something about putting pencil to paper that's so satisfying. I think I will continue to enjoy digital art. One doesn't replace the other, but this is where my heart lies.

Here's an update. Slowly working on branches and trying to keep the contrasts crisp where needed.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:39 pm Slowly working on branches and trying to keep the contrasts crisp where needed.
And succeeding very well. The first thing I noticed was the sharpness of the branch to the right of the sparrow and the gradual softness to the left, so my eye isn't dragged in that direction.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi Laurene, I'm happily looking at your drawing, because I just realised how many months I wasn't checking on this forum...
Don't know what I went through, depression or it was just laziness...
Creating the aquarium life within was very time consuming for sure, but it is not excuse.
I just couldn't find enough motivation to do any drawing.
I like you taking your own pictures whenever you can, and then you making them up deliciously...
Very nice, I love your style...
The drawing desk is clever too!
Well done You!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Mike and Arthur. I haven’t found time to finish this yet, but I will soon.

Arthur, don’t worry about this. We all seem to have to take a break from drawing once in a while. You’re an artist and you’ll always come back to it in one form or another. I think that what you’ve done in creating a living environment in your aquarium is a work of art in itself!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:13 pm I think that what you’ve done in creating a living environment in your aquarium is a work of art in itself!
Thank you for keen words regarding my *breake...
The aquarium was working for me very well Laurene, making me so busy all over the time!
I think I just lost myself in it, because I had that feeling I CAN NOT FAIL, or all the fish/shrimp will die because of me...
I felt responsible to carry on working on the tank environment, to get it done properly, with healthy water for them to live...
This can be explanation for my *suspended time.
Now the water parameters are spot on, everything is set and running well...
I have no worries the fish may die any more...
So I'm back to drawing routine 🤔😉
I have lots of stress regarding my finances, I'm barely managing from week to week.
All I do is work, and bills, and again.
The aquarium was giving me that busy time I could sink my stressed mind in it, it was giving me some extra spending as well!
😅🤣😂
So I was working overtimes whenever I could to keep improving aquarium, and it was helping me to pay bills on time too 😊
Then because of extra working hours, and looking after my *created aqua world, I had simply not energy left for drawing, and I couldn't even think to do some progress...
The problem I have is that I must feel rested to do drawing, if I'm tired, I just can't do it?!
Now everything is alright, so I can get to drawing back again!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*