7 Ravens

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

7 Ravens

Post by LindasPencils »

Apart from the yellow of the King's ring in the raven's beak, this is all graphite and also includes some Blackwing palomino (5B). No gore or gears in this one - I felt that raven's are 'punk' enough and a severed finger was a step too far even for me!

Raven images were sourced from the internet and from the Australian Raven that visits me every morning. All drawn freehand from these references and life.

enjoy.
7ravens_dwm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: 7 Ravens

Post by Laurene »

Beautiful drawing and composition as always Linda! I had to Google this tale, but it sounds a lot like another version I’ve heard where there are 3 brothers and it’s their father’s new wife, who of course is a witch, who turns them into ravens. Their sister saves them in the end.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

As a story this is all new to me... but the movement - composition - balance - energy - diversity - and sheer interest are just bubbling through this piece. What's not to love about it.

And that subtle shift in contrast and sharpness that pulls my eye directly to the ring bearer is masterful.

Superb!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Its amazing how often the clever wife or sister has to rescue those brothers, eh Laurene? 😁
Thank you Mike - high praise!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi Linda, I love birds very much, especially the Ravens!
They're so intelligent, they are smart, they enjoy to play, just having fun sometime as shown on some TV documentary_
As usually the way you do introduce the colour to your monochrome drowings is so subtle and so enjoyable at same time.
If Laurene wouldn't have mentioned about, I wouldn't have guess that your drawing is based on some tale?!
I haven't heard about tikis tale ever ...
I'm going to read it on internet.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

RobB

Post by RobB »

On my list of things I have always wanted to draw
probably wont happen
1st class as always

Rob

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Just a beautiful drawing! Full of movement. I love the hint of color!

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Ravens are FUN to draw! Thank you Pog, KW and Rob.
I also did a version of the main raven in ink for the Inktober prompt #5.
You can see all my Inktober works and several of my students on my blog; https://lindaweilfineart.blogspot.com/
5_RavenDWM.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Just beautiful! Kathy

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Wonderful. What else can I say