Kimberly

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Kimberly

Post by rideum51 »

rideum-daughter.jpg
This is my first attempt at a soft portrait of my daughter of 51 years ago. It has always been my favorite photo of her. Comments appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: Kimberly

Post by LindasPencils »

What a beautiful child, bet she grew into a beautiful woman. Love the soft effect you have achieved, down to the whispy hair. Is this graphite or charcoal? with blending techniques?

The only critique that I would make is that the ear is not well thought out, it lacks 'ear' structure and form and has the appearance of being stuck on. But hey, this was 51 years ago and I am sure you know how to draw an ear these days!

lovely

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I do agree with Linda that the ear might need some attention, but in every other respect this is wonderful! The eyes are alive and pull me right in. The lips, skin, hair and hand are all beautifully rendered. When an artist connects with a subject like this, it always comes through in the final piece. This has a classical painterly feel.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

A beautiful child and beautiful drawing. I have to agree about the ear - simply because it's a distraction - but the wonderfully expressive eyes, and the full lips quickly pull my eye back again :)

Lovely, and very believable, wispy hair too. Your deep connection with the subject is so apparent throughout.

I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of rotating your photo, so we can better appreciate it. I can restore it if you prefer.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

thanks for ally our comments, I agree the ear needs some attention. I didn't want to post this before but Kim passed on January 11th at 52 I will miss her forever.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I’m very sorry for your loss.
In my earlier comment I wrote: “ When an artist connects with a subject like this, it always comes through in the final piece. ” I understand now. Your love shines through in your drawing.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, Michael. I can't begin to imagine how you must feel, but I agree with Laurene, you love for Kim shines through the drawing.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Thanks

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

My sincere sympathy for the loss of your beautiful daughter.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I am very sorry to hear about your loss my friend...
Beautiful drawing, shows full of character, you did capture the likeness of the child very well.
I hope you ok, I'm very sorry for your beloved Kimberly...
Be strong my friend...
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*