Grey Butcher Bird Sketch

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Grey Butcher Bird Sketch

Post by LindasPencils »

This small little drawing was done as a demonstration work for my classes where we have been studying the art of drawing birds. This was week 3 of term, but now we are in Lock Down again for 5 days (hopefully only 5) and may or may not be back next week.
Created in my A5 Winsor Newton visual diary, 250gsm hot press watercolor book using Staedtler graphite pencils, F, 2B and 4B.
This little guy is a personal friend and he visits me every morning sitting on my kitchen window sill yelling for a hand out.
Beaks2dwm.jpg
If you would like to see more study works done in these classes, visit my blog: https://lindaweilfineart.blogspot.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Grey Butcher Bird Sketch

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: ↑Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:00 am This little guy is a personal friend and he visits me every morning sitting on my kitchen window sill yelling for a hand out.
What a delightful drawing. And so full of character. You've captured so much so simply that I feel I know him.

I, too, have a little friend who visits every evening for a meal. However, I can't introduce him to your friend, or he'd be a "Butchered" bird :) Sam's a ginger feral cat. And lately he's been bringing his tortoiseshell and white girlfriend Sophie with him.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Lovely sketch Linda. He has that intense look in his eye that all animals have when they’re letting us know that a treat is expected, and soon!! πŸ˜„ I’m afraid to ask how these birds got their name though....

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

πŸ˜„ I’m afraid to ask how these birds got their name though....
They are a bird unique to Australia, a songbird related to the Australian Magpie. Their hooked bill is used to skewer and capture prey like moths and lizards. Often the prey is too large to just gulp down so the bird will take it somewhere and impale it on a thorn or the like to eat at their leisure. Hence the 'butcher' part, like hanging meat on a butchers hook.
Sounds gory, but they are delightful birds to watch and have a beautiful if somewhat manic sounding song.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Sam's a ginger feral cat. And lately he's been bringing his tortoiseshell and white girlfriend Sophie with him.
Just can not wait for your coming up update, to hear from you about the fur colour of the litter πŸ˜‰(most probably on its way - it's April 😁)
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: ↑Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:00 am This small little drawing was done as a demonstration work for my classes where we have been studying the art of drawing birds.
Very nice sketch, thank you for share Linda.
Today it's 12th April and if you aware, they decided to open pubs, barbers, schools today in UK...
I'm aware lock down is necessary, but nobody likes it.
Lets hope the whole world will find proper, efficient solution.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:09 pm Just can not wait for your coming up update, to hear from you about the fur colour of the litter πŸ˜‰(most probably on its way - it's April 😁)
You're just going to have to wait... probably for a very long time. Yesterday we discovered that BOTH Sophie and Sam are female.

As a rule, tortoiseshell cats are usually female, and ginger cats are invariably male. So we assumed Sam was a boy. Well, now "he's" Samantha :)

We know, because we met up with our previous neighbour... who had them both spayed :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:23 pm You're just going to have to wait... probably for a very long time. Yesterday we discovered that BOTH Sophie and Sam are female.
OHHHHH NOOoooo πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
As a rule, tortoiseshell cats are usually female, and ginger cats are invariably male. So we assumed Sam was a boy. Well, now "he's" Samantha :)
We have in here our BOY ginger cat, that comes over for his treats daily often πŸ˜‰
And he even does scratch the front door to hurry us up, or let us know he's WAITING OUTSIDE starving πŸ˜…πŸ€£
It's our neighbour cat, so we know it's a boy πŸ˜‰
I had no clue there's any rule bonded to the sex/fur colour 😲
Thanks for share Mike πŸ˜€
We know, because we met up with our previous neighbour... who had them both spayed :roll:
It seems, that my waiting time for litter of these two might be forever now 🀣

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

πŸ˜„ ...so, both female and both spayed... yeah, that’ll never work... πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…