Yosemite Squirrel WIP

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Picasso2

Yosemite Squirrel WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

This squirrel in Yosemite National Park was so intent on eating that he was totally oblivious to my husband taking his photo. I have drawn him with Stabilo CarbOthello pastel pencils and as I don't have much experience with these, I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to how I can improve him.
Thanks
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Yosemite Squirrel WIP

Post by Laurene »

Hi Jean. I can’t offer advice on how to use these pencils, but they seem to have worked out very well for you here. There’s a sweet look of concentration on his little face that you captured so well!

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks Laurene. I am still struggling with using these pencils, but do like the effect that they produce.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi, you've succeeded making this lovely drawing, it looks nice to me.
In past I used mentioned Carbothello pencils, and I did like these very much.
They're blending nicely, and you can build up lovely colour tone then.
The more you practice, the better feeling of using them - I'd say 😊
Regardless of pencils the paper is VERY important thing!
Surprisingly you didn't mention the paper, so I assume you are drawing on well known to you paper, that you feel comfortable.
In my opinion the paper is everything Jean.
I was told, that in many cases if you struggling to achieve the effect you after, it's not your fault, not the pencils brand - but the paper!
I'm certain it was Pastelmat paper that I've chosen, as I was advised by many artists it's the paper that won't fail my efforts.
Anyway your squirrel drawing is well drawn, so I assume your choice of the paper must work for you very well too 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks PogArt.
The paper was Strathmore Toned Tan Paper, which I thought suited the subject, but it is only 118 gsm, so probably would have been better to have used something thicker.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

To be honest I haven't been using any other paper, so I can speak for Pastelmat only ...
It has kind of sandpaper structure, it really has 😁, so it's eating up the pastel pencils fast, but it's readily accepting and holding well many layers at that point, therefore it is giving some extra freedom of practicing or working on the desired effect you might be after.
Don't get my words for your guide of what paper is best, as I said before I have had used Pastelmat only.
At this point I don't remember what thickness was it, but it was A4 and A3 sheet block commonly sold on ebay or other art stores, so it wasn't anything extraordinary, just general Pastelmat sheets 😉
You may want to ask your question somewhere else or do yourself YouTube research of what artists suggest regarding good quality paper, if you know I mean...
Saying that, I think you may like to stick to what you have already?
If you know your Strathmore paper well, you can use your knowledge and experience in your favour.
All I'm saying is that your Squirrel is nicely drawn, you may don't need to look for other paper then 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I can't help with the use of the pastel pencils -= because I've never used them. But I can see the squirrel is very well studied and realistic. My only advice would be to punch up the contrast at the right, because at present my eye goes to his tail. Because it's the sharpest and most contrasty area, it's overpowering the darks in the head. Punch up the eye and ear and I think that should restore the balance.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks for that Mike. It's very useful to have things like this pointed out, as it is very easy to overlook these details (especially for someone as inexperienced as me!)
Regards
Jean

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Just pulling Picasso2's lovely squirrel up to the top of the list - it deserves a second look! I'll be working with P2 this summer (down under) in pastel pencils and I am really looking forward to seeing what she does. Her works are really developing nicely! Ask her to show you her lion!!!!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:42 pm Ask her to show you her lion!!!!
OK......

JEAN! Where's your lion???
We're dying to take a look at it. :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net