Piranha

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

Piranha

Post by kwheller »

This work is very much in progress and I could really use some feedback and suggestions. The client owned a red bellied piranha over 50 years ago and would like a picture of his beloved pet. The attached copy of the drawing is a little washed out, but close to the actual drawing. The plan is to add a very light addition of red color (tint) to the belly of the piranha once the piranha is complete (and has fixative applied) by using Verithin Primacolor colored pencils. (I have done this before, although I’m not a fan of color in my drawings).

The client also had a sign in the aquarium “Help Stamp Out People”- I know sounds awful with a pandemic going on, but 50 years ago it was considered funny. I am planning to double mat this drawing and have the inner mat come up into a small sign with those words on it in the bottom left hand corner. (If it doesn’t work, I can just redo the matting).

I wanted the background dark to bring out the fish and had visions of some vague horizontal things in the background, but it just looks streaky. If I am going to apply more graphite, I will probably need to go ahead and spray it with workable fixative since I am not sure how much graphite this paper can take at this point. However, I am open to any suggestions. (The piranha would destroy plants so there were not plants in the aquarium, just a large rock which I didn’t think looked right).

This is drawn on Bristol Board, plate finish. Thanks for your feedback!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Piranha

Post by Laurene »

I`m sorry I can't help with colour because I don't use coloured pencils at all. Linda would absolutely be the best person to ask about this.

I don't have a lot to offer because you've nailed the anatomy of a piranha perfectly. The dark areas on the fins might be a little bit darker especially on the tail to offset that white stripe.

Now, I know this is a matter of taste, but the teeth are such an integral part of a piranha that tells us (those who wouldn't otherwise know) that this is in fact a piranha. I googled some images and although we don't see the teeth when the mouth is fully closed, we can see a suggestion of pointy teeth in the lower jaw if the mouth is even slightly open. There's an example here: https://www.chicagotribune.com/resizer/ ... 4DBVVU.jpg , but this is just a suggestion.

Really well done! It's so refreshing to see a different subject like this!! Thanks for sharing.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Hi Laurene:
Thank you so much for your comments and encouragement! I'll see about making the dark areas on the fins a bit darker. Although I set down my darkest area of the picture the way Mike suggests, I realized that I misjudged the tonal value and had made the piranha way too light after I put in more dark background. So, I had to darken the fish and I see that the fins could go even a bit darker now. Good observation!

I really appreciate you taking the time to find a picture of the teeth! My 10 reference photos don't really show the teeth the way the picture does that you found. I will work on the mouth a bit more to see if I can bring out the teeth.

Thanks so much for your helpful comments and I appreciate that you feel I nailed the anatomy of the piranha! (First time drawing any kind of fish). Take care!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

I made some changes such as adding teeth (if you look very closely) and darkening certain areas. I added a hint of color (tinting) using Verithin colored pencils. The black background actually looks more uniform, but when I took a photo of my artwork, the light was coming from the top which caused some lightening and appearance of unevenness. Next, I will use the matting to come up into the bottom left corner into the shape of a sign which will offset this asymmetrical drawing. (At least that's the plan). Any suggestions/comments are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi kwheller 😉
My friend has 2 of these, I said well they won't bite if you put your hand inside the tank, because as far as I'm aware they do bite only if they sense any flesh cuts ...
So if you have no any cuts/scratch on the skin, then you most probably will be safe...
Then he did show me two marks on his hands just after my words, and he said this is prove you're wrong hahahaaaa 😅🤣😂
I do like your drawing very much, very detailed!, and looks much improved after Laurene's suggestion...
I like soft touch of the reddish on the belly, and improved tonal differences on to body shapes.
Well done to me.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Hi PogArt:
I was really looking forward to your comments so thanks so much for looking at my artwork and spending the time to post a reply! I have learned so much about piranhas doing this drawing and they certainly are dangerous when there are a lot of them! Hope your friend stays careful with handling his piranhas!

I am glad you like the soft touch of the reddish on the belly. I hesitated adding color to my graphite drawings, and was afraid that it would ruin it. However, I think this tint of color worked out well and the client was very pleased having the color added!

I looked at the way other artists (mostly on this post) added color, such as using Staedtler blue / red pencils, Staedtler Karat color pencils wash, Graphitint pencils by Derwent, but after experimenting with them, I went back to what I have used to add color (Verithin Primacolor colored pencils). It would be interesting to know how graphite artists select the type of colored pencil to use with graphite when they want to add color. I do this so rarely, however.

Thanks for your encouragement!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

You're very kind 😊
I'm worry of adding colour myself too, you aren't the only one having this dilemma...
In some cases, like on this example the subtle colour touch is so beneficial, isn't it?!
I'm trying to avoid colours, but I don't say no, as you can see, sometime is just a must 😉
There's one thing regarding the solid background, I can see on my screen the pencil strokes, is it right?
If so, if I was you, I'd rather avoid this texture by applying the graphite powder instead, but it's just my preference 😊
Beautiful piranha indeed 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Hi PogArt: Its good to hear that I am not the only one who struggles with color. I also try to avoid it, but I agree with you that it's a must sometimes.
Thanks for the idea regarding the graphite powder. I'll try it next time I want a solid dark background. In this instance, I was trying not to have a solid black, but some kind of very subtle pattern. It didnt really work out the way I had thought and I should have planned it better. However, the client thinks it looks wavey and is happy its not solid black. I guess it worked out.
Thanks for your comments!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Have a look at the background of my latest drawing "Mother in Law" please.
By applying the powder you don't need to make it solid, but do whatever you wish, like you wanted on your piranha...
But there won't be any strokes then, but smooth tonal switching ...
At least this is what I wanted achieve 😅

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Hi PogArt: Thanks for elaborating! I see exactly what you mean. I actually own some graphite powder, but I think I need to play with it more. I love the effect you have on your drawing with the powder!