New Year -> new drawing challenge! ;)

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: New Year -> new drawing challenge! ;)

Post by PogArtTi »

You do read my mind very well indeed Laurene!
Yes, that was my idea, to start from very dark bottom corner, applying those patches randomly, and spreading them out going upwards and around...
But then to make the left side of background lighter than opposite, so then the wings could be noticeable, as being Ying and Yang (good and bad).
But I didn't want wings to be physically existed, but kind off background feature instead, just giving the viewer a thought rather than feature...
Yes, I got the feeling I'm about at the final strokes Laurene...
I wasn't drawing today, I'm after my second dose of covid vaccine (taken yesterday), so I'm having kind of resting mode today, just not feeling fit to do anything today...
I'm happy you haven't suggest any corrections or anything else...
You know me for many years, so I assume you predicted I'm aware of what looks odd, and you know that I'm leaving the drawing as it is, to come back to it later, and I will try adjust what I can ...
Thank you!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

To be honest, the wings are so subtle I hadn’t noticed them yet. I think that’s a very good sign because they would be a wonderful surprise when the viewer would look at your beautiful drawing again with fresh eyes! It’s a great idea! I love it.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:58 pm To be honest, the wings are so subtle I hadn’t noticed them yet.
Wow!!!
I couldn't have ask for better compliment ever!
I wasn't aware if it's working or not until reading your comment!
If YOU didn't notice them, then my idea is working very well, the way I wanted!

We all have a good and bad side, so the wings are there, to suggest our (human) nature.
It's common that we think than children are pure angel, they can spread nothing but love.
I think (so sorry if you don't agree) that children aren't exemption...
Little angels can also be little devils if you know I mean 😅😉
This is the idea behind this drawing 😉
Thank you...
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Little angels can also be little devils if you know I mean
:lol: I do know what you mean, but I suggest you don’t try the same trick with little horns instead of wings! :lol:

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

:lol: don’t try the same trick with little horns instead of wings! :lol:
Are you aware dear Laurene, that it's happened, that Moses was sculptured as a man with the horns, as a symbol of God's strength? 😉
It's not only the evil nature, that at present days we're so keen to accept...
It used to be a great symbol of god's power at first, then happily used for presenting the image of devil, probably to succeed in scary off the people, and bring them to the churches 🤔
The horns play a great role within the Greece mythology as well (Egyptian deities).
I know, that the first thing we think of when looking at such horns we think - devil.
But the subject of the horns is related much deeper in our ancient history of humans and gods, and it has many aspects too 😉
I like horns very much, so you can expect me drawing them in no time 😁😉
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I’ve studied antlers and horns and love them too. I don’t imagine though that parents would appreciate a portrait of their darling child wearing devil horns. :lol:

That article is very interesting. Religion and culture can be enlightening but they can also be judgemental and they dictate how people react at different times in history. I like the idea that art should be free of those influences.

You know, come to think of it, the devil is really just a fallen angel so he would have wings too.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I’ve studied antlers and horns and love them too.
🥰
Yeah, the subject is very deep, causes headache too when is tried to discuss of all those aspects, facts, history, meanings...
To me the angels (God's messengers) supposed to be presented as very same creatures that devils are.
To me, they should look identical regarding external appearance, as they weren't ever changed, modified, or went through any of anatomical changing process, ever.
So the way we believe the devils look like is just false to me, fake image created long long ago by people, not the god, to make them look like monsters from hell, to scare off people and bring them to churches ...
This is the only way I understand why angels are usually presented as athletic body men, with white wings, where in comparison the fallen angels looks like monsters (dark,tails,horns,bat wings etc.).

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

*FINISHED*
I'd like to call it - "Yin & Yang"
*In Ancient Chinese philosophy, yin and yang is a concept of dualism, describing how seemingly opposite or contrary forces may actually be complementary, interconnected, and interdependent in the natural world, and how they may give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another.
It took me incredibly long to finish, I've been through lack of motivation for so long.
Soon as I thought I'm back to drawing.., I was losing it again.
Terrible experience indeed, one side of me wants to draw, the other drags me away 😒
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

As I said on facebook. I think this is your best drawing!

At first I wasn't sure how such a strongly textured background would work with such a soft and delicate subject, but I think it works very well. It's a great contrast to the softness of the skin and to her plush toy too.

I think that's a great title! The dark wing and the light wing behind her represent both sides of all humans as you explained, but here they can also represent the struggle you had in completing this. I'm glad you didn't give up. It's worth all of the effort that you put into it!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:38 pm I'm glad you didn't give up.
At first thank you very much for kind comments Laurene.
No, not at all dear friend, I'd never even think to give up on it, I just couldn't carry on ... ... ...
Weird, can't explain... 🤔😒
To be honest I can still see lots to improve, digging into details, improving shapes, highlights etc.
On the other hand I felt it's nearly done already, and all the time wasted behind this drawing ...
So I started improving things around to be pleased with the effect I achieved, not willing to spent more time on it than necessary 👍
Even though I can see things screaming to improve, I'd like to boost my lost motivation with some fresh project, because I know myself - I need something to trigger me, to give me that power kick in my .... 😅
I'm glad you haven't critique it Laurene, very kind of you 😊
The background was straight out my mind, I wanted to create such random pattern, that I could shape in form, wrap it around the girl, make those wings appearance like mosaic ...
Imagination of wings rather than realistic ...
I hope it works, it does for me 🤘🤠
Thank you once again.