New Year -> new drawing challenge! ;)

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

New Year -> new drawing challenge! ;)

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi dear friends.
Some of you already know, that this year I decided to focus more on my portfolio, larger format drawing, and stop commissions.
So far so good, lol, I keep word given and I have refused commission request already 😉

Today I wanted to begin the new challenge drawing on 22"/30" sheet.
Before I did start, I had no clue what problem I will face, lol.
The sheets are large format, of the Arches Aquarelle 600gsm watercolour paper.
The problem I had, was the coarse/uneven edges!
When I bought the paper I did like those edges, but today It confused me a lot, because I needed to use self adhesive tape to fix the paper to the board, but how?!, if the edges are like this!?
So I began long process of precise measuring the edges, to make them at straight line...

I found that at the portrait mode the bottom and top edges are nicely cut, I could accept it, but the left and right edges (the long ones) looking like teared apart, lol, and the dimension is more than 22" only.
Therefore I wasn't worry to cut them off , making the dimension nearly equal to 22".

Problem with cutting! 😅🤣😂
The paper is very sturdy and thick, my razor blade not ideal condition, so I did mess it a bit..., finishing off with scissors 😅
Hard work!
Really!
😅🤣😂

At this point I'm craving for your advice please - should I cut off those edges, leave them?

At the end I've managed to tape the paper on the board, and I outlined the subject...
What subject?
Well, nothing original unfortunately, it's my niece Hana (yeah, I know I knoooow - again! 😆😅🤣😂)
It's because my wife insisted very much, and the photo is high quality from last year session, so I couldn't resist 😁
Yes, I'm planning to do something else than copy the reference only, but at the moment I have no clue what to do about it 🤔
If I don't figure out later, what magical to add, then I may just finish it as it is originally...

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Re: New Year -> new drawing challenge! ;)

Post by Laurene »

I don’t blame you for choosing such a lovely subject again!😍

Those decked edges are a matter of choice in my opinion. I love the look especially when artwork is “floated” when it’s framed so that they’re shown off. If the final drawing or painting will be framed using a mat, then they’ll be hidden anyway. I say it’s a personal choice. I have to say that I don’t draw on a vertical surface like you do so I don’t always tape down my paper and if I do, I only tape the 4 corners.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:32 am I don’t blame you for choosing such a lovely subject again!😍
Thank you 😊😊😊
I say it’s a personal choice. I have to say that I don’t draw on a vertical surface like you do so I don’t always tape down my paper and if I do, I only tape the 4 corners.
Lol..., Laurene ...
When I started cutting them off it was too late to stop myself, once begun - I had to finish it...
But I'm so happy to ready our opinion!!!
It's because originally I was amazed to have it, and wanted keep it...
Why I decided to cut it off?
It's because I'm attaching the paper with the tape all way around, if I'd do it as you do Laurene, I would have end up with blank corner marks I guess 🤔

But you have made me think, thank you!
I like those edges, I really do!
I'll need to figure out how to attach the paper without the tape at its edges, but underneath 🤔
All I'm worry is that, if I use double side tape underneath the sheet, then it might keep too strong the paper to the surface, so if I attempt to take the finished drawing off the drawing panel, I my tear apart the underneath side ... 🤔
I need to think about it 🤔
I like to keep those rough edges at next time!
This drawing is meant to stay with us, so I was after to frame it anyway, and wasn't worry about any client taste, if you know I mean.
But you're right!
If it was floating frame, then those unique edges would have compliment the full picture.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi...
If you interested, here we go - today's attempts 😅

I started off with the background ...
I used kneadable graphite for first time, and I think I can achieve interesting effect by rolling it over the paper 🤔
I also blocked in the eyes to mark their appearance, and I've indented the hair, and later I marked roughly the hair style...
A little bit of shading at both sides of the head was done as well.

At this point I don't think I will manage to draw anything *magical, I hope to achieve the *magic with the background effect...
It's everything before me, I hope you'll enjoy to follow further updates 😉
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Pog, lets start with great beginning. What is kneadable graphite? do you mean a kneadable eraser is? I'm not sure I would worry as much about the papers edge. Your work far exceeds the edges importance. Looking forward as you move along.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:01 pm What is kneadable graphite? do you mean a kneadable eraser is?
Yes, it does look like the eraser you've mention, but it's flexible (kneadable) graphite.
So imagine you can draw with it, instead of erasing, if that's making sense 😅
Just have used it for first time, so I don't know much how it is in practice, but I'm quite happy for the background basic pattern...
Thank you for keen words regarding the drawing 🤘🤠

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

I'll look into it. If you want to see someone who works is large format graphite, google Jona Dry.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Jono, Jono Dry -> this is my favourite artist, I'm trying to learn/practice how to achieve this amazing style he has....
He's using the graphite technique I wish to match.
I've learnt it's not any easy, because I'm just scared to push the limits further to draw as dark as he can.
At first I thought it's just pushing the darks, no big deal?
I found it is big deal for me, because I'm still unable to do the way he does it after more than half the year since I got back to graphite drawing...
But I'm keep trying 😅
Thank you.

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

He is amazing, from how he determines what he will create and how he executes

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

That's right...
Many people practising martial arts, but Bruce Lee was only one, and even though out there is many great martial artists, none of them is as famous...
I can spent years on trying to become Jono Dry, but I will never match his level.
But this is so fascinating how he executes his drawings, and I'm very after just to try to do similar work myself...
The biggest problem I have is to breach the barrier I have in my mind, to push my darks as far...
I used to shade softly, with brushes, polishing the graphite rather than pushing it down with force...
I got back to graphite after over 4 years last year August, I've drawn couple drawings since, none is as dark, not even close!
I need free up myself, lol...
I wish this drawing to bring me closer to Jono's arts, but I'm already confused if I can go as dark 😅
At least I'm keep trying, lol 😉