Cocker spaniel

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
ElaineH

Cocker spaniel

Post by ElaineH »

6E1DC39F-4B93-4549-BAD1-9C27466B5977.jpeg
Any comments please? I am currently attempting three drawings of the same dog - each one is A4 size. Mike, what is your opinion on backgrounds for the swimming and running dog? I wondered about a very distant, just visible misty background, and would you think it necessary to add anything midground or not? I should have planned this more carefully before beginning - but am so undecided.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Cocker spaniel

Post by PogArtTi »

I like them all, you just shining your talent in here 😉
I love the fur, the skills you present in here, just wow 😁!!!
Wonderful indeed 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Hi Elaine - these are superb.
Regarding your background, the work is so nicely done I don't think you need much in the way of one. You could test out some ideas by scanning/photographing then playing around with them in something like Photoshop or Imp.
But what I do when I am caught like this is to relax, close my eyes and try and 'see' the finished work in my imagination, how I want it to look. Try to visualize it in your head and work out the feel you want. If you can have a clearer idea of this before trying to add a background it will help. And maybe your visualization will say no background!

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Thank you very much for comment PogArt, and Linda for your helpful suggestions. I will certainly try both of them. Probably will be either very faint, or no background at all. 🤷‍♀️🤔

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

ElaineH wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:37 am Mike, what is your opinion on backgrounds for the swimming and running dog? I wondered about a very distant, just visible misty background, and would you think it necessary to add anything midground or not? I should have planned this more carefully before beginning - but am so undecided.
I don't think your planning is at fault - sometimes decisions can't be made until there's something concrete on paper to make decisions about. Although a prior Plan A and Plan B does no harm :)

In this case - and it's only personal preference - I'd omit the backgrounds entirely. I'm assuming these are to be a matched trio of drawings, so the same "scheme" in each would tie them together.

My personal rule is "don't add a background unless it adds to the story". If it doesn't supply more information about the action to the viewer then it becomes a distraction.

The running dog is obviously running. No background is going to add anything to that. If one of its feet is on the ground you could subtly ground it with a hint of shadow, but no more than that.

The swimming dog is unmistakeably swimming. But here it might be helpful to very lightly extend the water above the ears. Just a hint. Without it, there's a remote possibility that this could be read as a standing dog placing its head on a watery surface, like a water trough. Unlikely, I know, but just a hint of water extending behind it would prevent any confusion.

This reminds me of our Golden Cocker "Rookie" when I was a little kid :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

These are lovely Elaine! They will make a striking display together.

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Thank you Laurene for your comment, and Mike for your input. I am so pleased to read your advice regarding backgrounds! And your comments about the swimming dog will make a big difference. I had not thought of adding an area just above the ears, but can see how this will make him appear to be 'in' the water, plus how a faint shadow under one of the running dog's paws will be enough. You have, very helpfully, answered a question regarding another drawing I have just begun of a snow leopard. I have recently discarded two drawings because I added far too much foreground detail, which just caused confusion and distracted from the subject....all good practice though.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

ElaineH wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:12 am ...And your comments about the swimming dog will make a big difference. I had not thought of adding an area just above the ears, but can see how this will make him appear to be 'in' the water...
After I posted that thought I realised why I think it would work. Currently, I could be looking straight at the dog, which is why I got the feeling the water might be a water trough the dog was placing its head onto. But a hint of water above its ears tips the vertical plane into an angled one. The dog must be in the water - there's no other viable explanation.
I have recently discarded two drawings because I added far too much foreground detail, which just caused confusion and distracted from the subject....all good practice though.
Here's an example of my personal rule in action:
Just-Thinking.jpg
"JUST THINKING"
All the action is in the foreground. I don't want you to look into the distance... so there isn't any :roll:

Boat, seaweed, sand and gull - all say "seaside". Adding the sea doesn't add anything to what you already know. It would drag your eye away from the action and be merely an annoying distraction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Such an interesting conversation about backgrounds. I struggle in what to omit or keep when considering a background that I don't see as important. This was very helpful to those of of who struggle with backgrounds. Thanks!! I am really enjoying these delightful dog drawings and seeing the same dog in three different scenarios!

Peebee

Post by Peebee »

Love your drawings @ElaineH and what a beautiful dog .