More procreate

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Digital or Other non-pencil artwork here!

Moderator: ElaineH

Laurene

More procreate

Post by Laurene »

I’ve been continuing to learn Procreate. I’m convinced that the combination of a user friendly app like Procreate on a portable device like an iPad encourages regular sketching and experimentation and that’s an bonus I wasn’t expecting at all when I started this. Another bonus is that it’s much easier on the eyes.

Here’s a portrait of my cat Mia. I used only one brush on the cat for this, a pastel brush, other than the fine ink brush that I used just for the whiskers. I did also use a spatter brush In the background. Total time was about 3 hours. I’m enjoying drawing in a looser style like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: More procreate

Post by LindasPencils »

Nice! Very well done Laurene.
Are you using a mouse? or a Pen tablet? or your finger?
I really like the transparency layering.
You are right about the regular sketching aspect of tablet programs - it is a great way to have a complete studio in your bag and sketch anywhere you go. Tablets are becoming a real addtion to an artitists' arsenal of mediums.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Linda. I’m drawing on an iPad using an Apple Pencil in the procreate app. Never thought I’d take to digital drawing, but I love it.

EDIT: Procreate even lets you do simple user-friendly animations. I made a quick animation of my drawing process for this. I can’t seem to post it here, but here’s a link if you want to take a look. It’s very short.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=65890 ... K11pYKM3ob

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

That's really cool. I sent the video link to a young artist friend of mine (16). she is really interested in this and has been playing with PixelArt, but this Procreate is far superior.
you are doing great with it and I hope to see more.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

That’s great Linda. If she has any questions please let her know that I’d be happy to share what I know.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Coincidentally, I'm teaching drawing to an artist at Drawspace at present who is only using Procreate. For the purposes of the course, I'm treating and critiquing her work as though it's graphite. What's surprising me is how much like graphite it is!

Of course, some things don't translate - like holes in shading caused by the paper's tooth - but, so far, I have to constantly remind myself that the work is NOT on paper.

It appears to be a wonderful app.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

It really is wonderful Mike because it’s so adaptable to however you choose to use it. My nieces turned me on to it and I’m drawing more than ever because of the convenience of just picking up my iPad anytime, anywhere. I can sketch with it on my lap.

A bonus for the older artist is that I can see clearly on a lit surface like this, and I can zoom in as much as I need to. These 2 drawings were done on procreate using traditional drawing methods, except for the hint of breath in the wolf drawing which I drew using white as a colour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Seeing these wonderful drawings makes me think maybe it's time I tried Procreate.... but then a nagging part of me thinks I've got enough to do right now. But I am very tempted :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Mike. I resisted for a long time thinking that digital art was so different from traditional. Now, I wish I had started long ago. Digital art can definitely be done traditionally. I think that it encourages practice too and that’s proven to be invaluable to me.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Just for fun! 😀