"Tiger&Mystery Flower" - FINISHED

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

"Tiger&Mystery Flower" - FINISHED

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi...
I used this reference photo of the tiger before.
I painted it by airbrush and acrylics on claybord.
The painting is in my sister's house, she loved it badly πŸ˜‰
I must confess my wife went upset when the tiger went to my sister.
She never told me straight, but after the tiger was gone, she told me it was most loved painting I've ever done...
Nevertheless 😊
I decided to draw it...
It's first time I'm drawing on Arches watercolour paper...
I don't know what to expect.
It's my first animal drawing after about four years too...
Did I already say I got rusted Mike? 😊
This will be third warming out piece to challenge me 😁
I hope it goes well...

I started off with pitch black background...

-Arches Aquarelle 300gsm 12"/16" (A3)
-Primo Elite Grande 5000 (pencil)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: Sumatrian Tiger - WIP

Post by PogArtTi »

Well, I just realised something...
I don't do pure graphite drawings.
I do use all the pencils I have, whether they're pure graphite, or charcoal based, or other mixed lead ones, that suit my needs...

Obviously the Primo E.G. 5000 is not pure graphite at all.
So the question is - am I allowed to post my drawings in here?
Or I should have post it to Other Media Artwork?

I'm a bit confused where I'm belong πŸ€”

The other two portraits - Olivia Grace mainly were drawn with graphite pencils, but other pencils have been used too ...

Here it comes another consideration πŸ€”
Do mixed lead pencils contain pure graphite in their lead?
Probably they do...
Can I call myself the Graphite Artist at all?
Wow...

I think I'll soon doubt whether I'm a man or a woman πŸ˜…

SOMEBODY HEEEEELPPPPP PLEASEEEE πŸ˜…πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜

Please advice dear Mike πŸ˜‰
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: Sumatran Tiger - WIP

Post by PogArtTi »

I liked to try indenting technique...
I found it tiring the hand, but I may get more interesting fur texture at the end?
I think it's worth to give it a go.
Because I was getting lost, where to indent and what direction.., I did roughly map the tiger's dark fur areas to get dome guide to follow the right direction...
I haven't done too much then, but at least something.

For marking the dark fur I have used : Kimberly 9xxB pencil.
Thank you for watching.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

As you all aware, building up the fur layers is time consuming...
So there's never a big jump forward regarding each session, but small steps rather.
This is exact case in here πŸ˜‰
I hope you enjoy?
Any thoughts?

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Pog,
first, I must congratulate you on what is going to be a stunning image. Keep going, it is looking great and working well. I cannot see any issues developing at the moment and probably won't in the future!
second, you ask a lot of questions about graphite vs carbon vs charcoal pencils - your best resource is, as always, Mike. He answers a lot of your questions in this blog post here: https://sibleyfineart.com/_blog/tag/graphite-v-carbon/
thirdly, can you call your self a 'graphite' artist. I don't see why not, you use graphite, even if you also use charcoal/carbon/burning etc. But if you are really concerned that you are misrpresenting yourself, why not just call yourself a PENCIL artist. Then it doesn't matter which pencil you use.
and of course you can post here... unless Mike rules otherwise. But he's pretty chill about this. ❄ Maybe don't post ink or pastel work here though! lol.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I will check out what Mike says 100%!
Also I'm very thankful for keen words regarding the tiger, and good point on calling myself the graphite artist, even though I'm using other pencil mediums too, but only charcoal based or mix as far as I'm aware of...
No any colour pencils or pastels if you know I mean...

I don't know if I mentioned before, I bet I did 😊, but I gave up all other media I used to play with dear Linda, so no any pyrpgraphy, digital or anything else...
I might do some occasionally, but if so it'll be only for exercise.

Thanks to being between you GREAT ARTISTS in here, watching your arts, great knowledge and everything else, who you are, did wake up my legacy inside me, the love to the graphite arts.
It was starting slowly at the beginning to come back to graphite...

I was half broken after last year oil portrait commission, when I put my heart to paint it and the painting wasn't collected and paid at all...
I think this triggered me to start digital drawing and pyrography.
I tried to fell in love to digital arts, I thought it is something I was looking for years...?
Now I think I had this feeling because I lost motivation, I was looking for anything to get into, to forget bad experience...
I remember I did swear at that time NO COMMISSIONS ANYMORE 😁
...Today I think it was the voice of desperate person, who just got fed up...

So I'm back to graphite - with all my heart.
I'm not desperate and half broken anymore.
I know who I am now.

Thanks a lot Linda!

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

The tiger is coming along beautifully. That rich black background will help it to really pop!

I'm glad you're enjoying graphite drawing again but I'll bet that in time you'll start enjoying other mediums as well. Your talent shows through whatever medium you try Artur.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you very much Laurene πŸ˜‰
Yes, I wanted to get the deep black on the background, let see how it will work for the whole concept...
You know my story very well!
I was looking away for something that was always inside of me,
No, no more searching please 😁
I'm strongly willing to stay where I am now...
It took me four years to understand πŸ˜…

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Today's efforts πŸ˜‰

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

🀘🀠