The cat - charcoal sketch 😅

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

The cat - charcoal sketch 😅

Post by PogArtTi »

It's started coincidentally.
Near by my sister is placed cats rescue, and they're struggling a lot financially to run that place...
My sis had an idea of helping them, by drawing some sketches of the rescued cats , framing those drawings and letting those people to sell the portraits on some of charity fund raiser auction...

The idea itself of helping those poor cats it's great, don't you think so 😍😍😍
I liked that idea very much, and if I sign those drawings, then more people will know about me, which may help build my audience up as well ...?

It was meant for graphite quick relaxed sketches, not to make me busy working on them, but rather relaxed nature of sketching...
This is where I started thinking of using charcoal instead.
No, I never been using this medium, but I was watching many YouTube tutorials, where artists teaching portraiture techniques etc.
I am using charcoal based pencils as well, so I'm kind of familiar to it, lol...

So charcoal seems to me, to be more proper medium for quick sketching, building up layers,shading ...?
I went today to local art store the to get some charcoal sticks πŸ˜‰

And here we are!
My first ever quick/fun charcoal free hand sketch 😁😁😁
Drawn on to the office printing paper πŸ˜…!
Yes - I have not paper designed for charcoal use 😁

So this first sketch is meant to let me see how the office paper accepts the charcoal...
5 minutes of making some strokes, and my exercise was done πŸ˜‰
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: The cat - charcoal sketch 😅

Post by PogArtTi »

And another one 😁😁😁
I tried to put more attention to the fur in here, but lol πŸ˜…, I feel like I'm learning drawing basics again πŸ˜…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

One more this morning, lol πŸ˜…
I tried to focus on shading today, and most of the charcoal has been taken off the paper onto my finger tip 🀣
I just carried on , lol ... and this is what I have end up with πŸ˜ͺ😁

I'm in a deep doubt.., if I can draw a thing, lol πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
I will take it for a great success if the sketch like this will raise even a single penny for those poor cats 😟
Or my practice sketching will improve my skills later 😁😁😁

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Well, I felt I like to draw some human face then πŸ˜‰

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Keep going. I think you need time to find your own style in this field, but you're almost there. You're more than hinting at the character and I think that will blossom soon. And I think it's the character that will appeal and sell.

Drawing for Cat's Rescue is a great idea. I did similar things in the early days - cats and dogs - and I'm certain it paid dividends later. I almost never advertised but I found I really didn't need to at all.

The difference is that I found myself giving homes to Cat Rescue cats rather than drawing for them :roll: It was uncanny how they always knew when Jenny was away and how, coincidentally, they had another cat that needed a home. It's how I ended up with nine of them :D

So, I think you're doing a very good and generous deed.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:49 pm Drawing for Cat's Rescue is a great idea. I did similar
So, I think you're doing a very good and generous deed.
Thank you Mike πŸ˜‰
I have one ginger cat coming over, it's my neighbours cat...
The circumstances have changed a bit, she brought her dad from Poland because her mom died, and her dad brought his little dog with him...
The ginger cat didn't get too well along with that dog, so unfortunately the cat most of the time stays outside, wandering around...
Funny is that I never liked this cat.
Nothing personal, just like that...
But somehow, slowly I started finding myself like him more, soon giving him some sausage sometime, and he started getting to the house too 😁
My wife doesn't like him being in the house, mostly because he's dropping the ginger hair around, lol 😁😁😁
Anyway I'm even more fancy this cat, because I found out he's not coming over just for sausage...
Few times when given he's not attracted by the food, but me...
I do appreciate it very much, so I like him even more 😁

But back to the subject.
The printing paper is very slick, it doesn't hold the charcoal well, it does a bit, then nothing at all, and if I try blend it, the powder leaves the surface, it's opposite to the darkening/shading - I'm actually erasing by my finger πŸ˜…
So instead of building shadows up, or such, I'm forced to kind of making lots of strokes imitating the fur, which looks like child's drawing, lol...
I can not even reapply the stroke to darken the spot, because replying charcoal with the charcoal stick is blurring the already drawn area, so it's not making the spot darker, but blurred instead, so I have to be very careful, or repeat the stroke more times to achieve the black looking one πŸ˜…

I found I have no idea how to achieve what I want too, what you already have noticed Mike...
I feel like I can not draw anymore πŸ˜…
I need to find the way to do what I want to, not let charcoal stick to be in charge, but my hand πŸ˜…
I hope I slowly will get there, especially if my sister has offered to buy the proper paper for me 😊
I just coukdn't say no, could I? πŸ˜‚
So soon the proper paper will be delivered, and I hope to improve my technique then, so the shading abilities 😊

At the moment I'm just trying do those simply sketches with the charcoal stick and my finger, but when the paper comes, I'm aiming to support myself with some erasing tool, charcoal pencil for details, stumps ...
Just to make those sketches a bit nicer looking ...

At the moment I'm finding this 5min - 15min sketches very relaxing!
Just having fun, not focusing too much, stroke here , stroke there, some messing with the finger, then again ... lol , pure therapy I'd say 😁

Thank you Mike for keen comment...
And I bet you ended with so many cats because you live in lovely place, where those cats can simply enjoy their life, out of town, traffic and such hazards...

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: ↑Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:14 pm I found I have no idea how to achieve what I want too, what you already have noticed Mike...
I feel like I can not draw anymore πŸ˜…
I need to find the way to do what I want to, not let charcoal stick to be in charge, but my hand πŸ˜…
That's what I meant. You're enjoying yourself but the medium is in charge. It won't yet do what you want it to, but....
I hope I slowly will get there, especially if my sister has offered to buy the proper paper for me 😊 I just couldn't say no, could I? πŸ˜‚ So soon the proper paper will be delivered, and I hope to improve my technique then, so the shading abilities 😊
..... I've no doubt that will make a HUGE difference and it will quickly be YOU that's in charge :)
And I bet you ended with so many cats because you live in lovely place, where those cats can simply enjoy their life, out of town, traffic and such hazards...
That's absolutely true. I've had some wonderful cats, but also those that cannot or will not live with people. But, a mile down a farm track, what harm can happen to an outdoor cat? Well, we lost one who was hit by a potato harvester, but the others all died of old age.

Apart from Jed, the one-eyed tabby. He liked to hunt rabbits, which live further down our lane. One day Jed disappeared. A week later my Mother can to visit, and I was telling her about Jed when he walked into the kitchen and rubbed himself around my Mum's legs..... then he went, and we never saw him again. It was as if he was saying goodbye ;) I think he probably moved to the racing stables to be near the rabbits, but that's just a guess.
Mike Sibley

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 pm rubbed himself around my Mum's legs..... then he went, and we never saw him again. It was as if he was saying goodbye ;) I think he probably moved to the racing stables to be near the rabbits, but that's just a guess.
Wow...
Don't know what to say...
After a week wandering somewhere he just popped in to say farewell...?!
Wow...
What a story...

It's reminded me my rat.
Many years ago I used to keep rat as a pet.
I bet I had 3 of them in 6 years time, because they lived for about two years only... So I was taking another one then...

Anyway the last one made me cry because I felt something similar wgat you've said regarding your one eyed cat ...
My rat was at the end of his days, I was taking him to local vet trying to help him out, because I could notice his being in poor condition, and the cancer looking lumps were visible...

So it was the day, when I had booked the appointment...
He usually was walking free in the flat when I was home, but this time I kept the lid on the tank locked, in case the rat would want to hide just at the time we'd have to go to the vet...
So not to miss the appointment I kept the rat in his tank...

I remember like today, I was starve after work, so I was busy in the kitchen making some sandwich...
I saw then my poor rat, trying his best to lift the lid, to go out...
I knew he may go somewhere and disappear for long, so I may miss the visit...

But you know...
You may have experienced many times that weird internal whisper telling you that this time something is different, making you react...

I felt he's insisting to go out the tank...
I can't explain that feeling, when I knew this time it's different, and I'm suppose to let him out ...

I opened the lid then, I helped him to get on the floor too, because he was in poor condition already...
Then I left him unattended and went back to finish preparing my sandwich...

He didn't go away Mike...
But he could go anywhere, as he used to...
Not this time...?
He came around my legs and has passed away by my feet... ... ...

I didn't finish my sandwich.
I was crying like a baby.

This story telling is watering my eyes even now ...

I don't know what happened, I can not explain that.
I like to think, he didn't want to die locked in his tank, he wanted go out and die free, like some animals do..., going away to die in quiet place far away...

He did die by my feet, to thank me for looking after ...?
It's just the rat yes?
Well...

At that time I had a big rottweiler home and the cat, and the rat was always in charge!
He did bite the cat if the cat was resting on the sofa, to bugged the cat off, if he wanted that spot to take!
Also the dog must had to move away if he was resting on the floor on the rat's way!

They're very intelligent animals...

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

10min charcoal free hand study πŸ˜‰

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Did I ever mention that you have a natural talent for whatever you try?

No? Well, you do.... and this is proof :D
Mike Sibley