Morning, Buck

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Morning, Buck

Post by rideum51 »

Morning Big Guy2 20200724_10330857.jpg
20200507_065906.jpg
My first attempt at a purely nature subject. This guy actually woke me up on May 7, 2020 at 6:59. Maggie Valley North Carolina. Mike and others your comments please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Morning, Buck

Post by PogArtTi »

It's very rich drawing, full bodied I'd say.
Lots of detailed work indeed!
I'm impressed with your great patience while drawing the complicated background.
Nice drawing my friend.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Wow! What a wake up call.
I would love to see a detail/close up of some parts of this drawing - especially the mossy trunk of the tree on the left.
stunning piece of wildlife drawing.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

This is my favourite type of composition when the environment is given as much importance as the main subject. Well done!

Cazza59

Post by Cazza59 »

Oh it is already fantastic!

Regards,

Carol

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Everything Laurene said :)

With one addition... I'm guessing because I can't see the reference clearly but the deer appears to have a bright highlight on the brow above the left-hand eye. It's that way in the reference and your drawing, so I've no doubt it's entirely natural. It might even be a patch of white hair. But... it's brighter than the highlight in the eye, so it immediately catches my attention.

You've created very bright eye highlights in your drawing but you've lost the advantage they offer because that brow highlight dominates them.

Scan it into Photoshop or similar and see if slightly darkening that highlight will help. I think it will, and the eyes will then become the focal point.

On the other hand, you might feel the deer then loses some of its character. That's possible, but I think it's worth a try.

Sorry - I tried to resist the temptation... but failed. And I need the practice now I've switched to Affinity Photo :oops:

Like this:
rideum-5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Thanks Mike I agree it was tooooo dominate. The only criticism of of your critique is that's an ELK not a deer, a female, lol. I guess you don't have them in England. This morning I have a small herd of elk, three moma's and two calves were in my yard. Beautiful until they started to eat my flowers.

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Big mistake not a female but a Buck

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:12 pm Big mistake not a female but a Buck
But not as big as my mistake! ;) :oops:

I've seen Elk in the US but, as you said, they're not here in the UK. So, I saw antlers and assumed...

Well, no... To be honest I saw antlers and KNEW it was a deer :D
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

JayS

Post by JayS »

Grins! What do we call it? It is an elk. And the female elk is known as a cow. She births a calf. But female elk do not have antlers. Only males. This is a bull elk. A young bull. Possibly no more than two years old. Scotland has a close relative of the Elk.

I had just watched Mike's video on Recession so I got to thinking about the depth of this drawing. The foreground trees on the left set the near distance. The trees behind the elk set the background. They should be lighter and with less definition. As you are doing in this drawing. IF you made the foreground darker it would give the drawing more depth.