Real time tutorials

Join a discussion, suggest suitable subjects, or ask Mike questions about the videos.
ElaineH

Real time tutorials

Post by ElaineH »

If possible I would like to see some real time tutorials. Would not expect a full drawing, but maybe a demonstration from start to finish of a dog eye or ear or nose (or any other subject). I found it really helpful to draw along with the ‘shade a lily’ video

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Real time tutorials

Post by Mike Sibley »

Thanks, Elaine. That's the direction I'm heading in.

I have a long list of ideas for finished drawings that will explore many areas : maritime, landscape, architecture, still-life, botanical, transport, and so on. Pinned to the wall beside me I have another list of ideas for shorter videos covering subjects such as textures or lighting that will again feature small finished drawings.

But in the meantime, I also have to make time to complete the technique videos, which I'm currently concentrating on.

So, ultimately I'm heading towards the videos I've always wanted to make - as outlined in the first list above - but along the way I'm learning the videography, lighting, and editing skills I need.

At present, I have two more videos to make to complete the Basic Technique series (the first is half complete). Then I'll be moving on to more intermediate and advanced techniques, and some will inevitably feature small completed drawings.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Wow - you have such a lot to do!! That is quite an impressive list of topics, and will inspire me to try something new. I remember on one of the workshops you said that if you can draw something you can draw anything - so I look forward to moving on from the mindset that 'I only draw animals portraits'

kymchambers

Post by kymchambers »

I agree with Elaine. Very interested in seeing a short video of you drawing a nose, ear, section of hair on an animal. Your technique for drawing animals is the best I have ever seen. I own your book and have taken your online class, own almost all of the videos in the Basic Technique series, and have bought lots of your prints to try to learn from as well. I still can't render fur like I would like. I really hate that I missed your last workshop in the United States. Still bummed about that. Anxiously awaiting some videos on actually drawing eye, nose, ear, fur with animal drawings. I so want to be able to draw animals.

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Kym, have you seen the video on this board entitled "Riley the Movie" It is well worth watching if not. There is no narration , but some lovely relaxing music, and a fabulous demonstration of some of the techniques Mike uses.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Thanks, Elaine. Here's a link to it, Kym... RILEY - THE MOVIE!
Mike Sibley

kymchambers

Post by kymchambers »

Thank you Elaine and Mike. I have now watched the video several times. Would love to see more videos like this with some narration. Love seeing the process. Pics would even be great since the video takes a lot to make it. Would love to see pic of nose of dog and then step by step pics of the drawing. It would be great for an eye, ear, and section of fur. Just a thought until you can do a video.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

kymchambers wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:37 am Would love to see pic of nose of dog and then step by step pics of the drawing. It would be great for an eye, ear, and section of fur. Just a thought until you can do a video.
Noses? Easy, Kym - just watch the three "Division" videos. Two of them show how I break down a nose into simple-to-handle areas; one shows the thought and analysis that has to go into each area; and in one I actually draw a nose.

But, bear in mind that for the video I completed ALL the line work and then ALL the tonal shaping. In reality, I'd take each of those small areas, apply the line and then tonal shaping and fully complete that area before moving to the next.

Try this one first: DIVIDE AND CONQUER
There are links to the other two beneath the video. And watch them in sequence and at fullscreen.
Mike Sibley

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Would love to see pic of nose of dog and then step by step pics of the drawing. It would be great for an eye, ear, and section of fur. Just a thought until you can do a video.
Kym, have you got Mike's book, 'From Line to Life'? I HIGHLY recommend it to all my students and graphite artists. While it isn't a video it is full of helpful information and has drawings throughout. A very good section on nose and eyes. While you are waiting for the video you can immerse yourself in this super-informative book.

Why not get yourself a copy for Chirstmas? http://sibleyfineart.com/pencil-drawing-book.htm

kymchambers

Post by kymchambers »

Thank you Linda. I do have his book and have read through it several times. I have also taken his online classes. I'm still struggling with drawing fur. Ofcourse I want it to look like Mike's Drawings. I would like to see the reference image of the animal and then the drawing. This isn't something that people post when they show their drawing. I have a hard time taking it from photo to drawing. I also struggle with when to use what grade of graphite. I am going to post some drawings soon and get critiques from Mike and everyone here. So happy to be part of this forum.