Toybox of Dramas

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Graphite Pencil masterworks here!

Moderator: ElaineH

LindasPencils

Toybox of Dramas

Post by LindasPencils »

This is a work I have just completed for the Artaviso site's Door to Door Challenge 'Art in the time of Covid 19'. Each member could apply for and recieve a page from Newnes' Pictorial Knowledge Encyclopedia- this was a children's encclopedia prodced in the UK in the 1950's and editied by Enid Blyton. Once you recieved your page you were asked to create a work on an A4 sized paper and submit to the online exhibition. This exhibition is evolving as new works are updated regularly.
My page was about toy making and titled 'Dolls, Cars and Toys that Move'. A full description is on the web page, but basically it has been done with Graphitint light washes in Indigo and 4B, followed with dry over drawing in pencils ranging from 4H to 4B on 250gsm Lana Bristol board. It represents the toy box contents of my childhood.

There are some very interesting works in this exhibition and you can see mine and others at: https://www.artaviso.com/door-to-door-virtual/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Toybox of Dramas

Post by Laurene »

I can just imagine the amount of planning that went into this Linda. Making a jumble of objects, many broken, look like a cohesive composition with a good balance of lights and darks would be a nightmare for me. You make it look easy and I know darn well it isn’t!

It’s a touching walk down memory lane for many of us because you chose toys and treasures that are universal. Oh, by the way, I wanted a real pony too! :D

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I truly enjoyed the artwork with the childhood theme on your blog Linda. I tried posting a comment several times but it didn’t seem to work. It gave a message “publishing” but no comment appeared on the page.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Oh yes Laurene - it was a bit of a headache working it out at first. But then the real pain was drawing the darn thing. I thought it would be a snap, forgetting I was using Bristol board which really puts the brakes on things. Layers and layers and paitence. Took far longer than I expected... of course, getting the new expansion pack for Laura Croft Tomb Raider I have been a bit distracted and time poor. :lol:
Did you click the link to see the page it was inspired by? There are some amazing works in that exhibition, check out Mark Seabrooks British soliders. Disturbingly wonderful.
Not sure what the issue with the blog is, I have checked the settings and it supposedly allows 'anyone' to comment. All comments are moderated by me first before they are published and I have not recieved a notifiation from Blogger. I will go fiddle again and see what is what - it was set to allow anyone but I will chage back to google users only and see if that works. Did you get the 'word verification step?'

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

...oh and that kid on the pony? It is based on an old photo of me around 6/7 after a really bad 'bowl' haircut my dad gave me.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I tried posting just with my name. When that didn’t work I tried using my Google account. It prompted be to login with my password which I did and when I clicked on Post it said Posting but then nothing happened. I tried a few times.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

No, I didn’t get a Word verification message.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

weird. I have checked and it all seems correct as far as I can tell. The only thing I can think it is would be that we have had several network outages this week - workers on the new train line cut the cable - and the internet has been flaky ever since then.
I just did a test comment and it worked okay, but maybe it just recognises me?

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Mystery solved! I was using my ipad yesterday and couldn’t post comments. I just tried with my Android phone and it worked perfectly. I loved seeing your bird and feather drawings for your flight prompt.

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Linda, there is so much to look at in this fabulous drawing. Overall it gives a lovely, warm, nostalgic feeling of past times. I especially like the details of the broken toys - the doll missing her eye, and arms. I can imagine everything tangled up together in the beads.