Impossible references

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
RobB

Impossible references

Post by RobB »

Hey everyone.

I don`t consider myself to be an artist anymore but I am constantly asked to draw for people
95% of requests are refused, so most people have worked out if you ask my wife instead of me !!
its a great loop hole.

Anyway something I am struggling to get started is the most horrendous bad images ever
I will reduce the file size on the other images tomorrow. The plan is because the dog seems to have
some sort of issue it never raises its head ?. Its markings are distinctive enough so I plan to take a rough
sketch and add the markings of the dog to give it the appearance of their dog.

If this fails well its another rejection lol.
The sketch is rough - what do you think run with one of the submitting images or refuse the drawing.
Cheers Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Impossible references

Post by Laurene »

Well, I'd have a hard time walking away from such unique composition of 2 beautiful animals, but that may just be the stubborn streak in me.

I know what a talented photographer you are. Why not accept on condition that you can get your own reference photos, specifically of the dog. You know, sometimes if we don't force them to pose but just shoot as many photos as we need while they do their thing we can get the details we need.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

This is great thing to me, that you're making the subject up to make its appearance better than it is.
If you are not consider yourself as an artist anymore, then compared to what you just have showed, I'm just nobody at all Rob 😁
It's because I'm practising arts for about t years so far, but instead of sketching my main arts or plan them anyhow , I used to trace the original reference instead and draw it - not any adjustments, no nothing...
I just have realised how bad and lazy habit I had for too long!
I'm only begun to work on it, and I'm trying to change this behaviour...
So I'm sketching free hand my main subjects, and will want to plan the composition as well...
How it will go, no idea - I'm happy I am willing to work on my lazyness πŸ‘
I think you did very good job regarding your sketch, very very good job to me!
Occassionally I'm being asked for competition portrait as well, usually the reference is very low quality made by mobile phone camera...
Once I zoom in, the poor details are gone, and the person is surpriced that I can not use the reference...
They used to say it was very good looking photo!
Well, people think it's good to use photo on their 5" mobile screen as a reference...
I like the "way around" to get you do the commission , lol 😁😁😁
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

Hi Rob, I agree that Laurene has the best solution if at all possible. But your sketch is pretty much spot on, I can definitely see a likeness to the dog in your sketch (but then I am not the owner). In the past I have had some pretty dire ref photos, but very lucky I have never had a rejection, though I have been asked to do some extra work. I once used a photo straight from the internet and was told by the owner that I had captured her Boy exactly :lol:

Artur I fell into that exact same trap of tracing, sad to say I still do it if I am doing a commission. But I definitely lost the ability to draw freehand and it takes a lot of work to get back to it, I lost my confidence :cry:
Bev

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

You know me for many years Bev, I'm perfectionist, never happy with my artwork... It was crucial to me to TRACE the original reference to do my artwork EXACTLY maching the subject features - that was a must!
Me, not being happy ever with my arts - how to fit there free hand sketch?!
Not possible!
Do you remember how many times I was starting my free hand practice routine?
My exitement was lasting for short period of time too...
The problem with free hand sketch is that without sufficient practice we can always notice many imperfections, the nose off, the eyes off or such ...
This was killing my heart to practice it ...
Saying that I must mention some great artist I was following (I'm still do occasionnally) Cuong Nguyen.
He's sketching his models on live free hand.
They're a bit (little bit) off, but they're also very alike the original people that he's drawing while they're sitting on their chairs in his studio...
I was always fascinated to have that skills good enough to master free hand drawing, but I was always too impatient to work on it, to practice it...
The easy way is to trace it, and job's done.
I got used to live with it and accept it, not willing to waste the time for free hand sketching, but to start with the drawing immediately...
This is what I'm trying to change this year Bev.
Do I like it, no, I hate it, lol...
But I'm willing to carry on this way.
Have you seen my latest Hana digital portrait yet?
My wife doesn't like it which is killing my motivation already, but I'm not giving up.
My wife knows Hana as her own child, and she can see imperfections, especially she's complain that I made Hana way too chubby,lol 😁
And this is the case with my free hand sketch - there's always something that's not matching very well the reference I follow 😁
So the Grey Wolf was my first free hand, and now the Hana is.
Let see how far my practice and new routine will lead me, lol 😁😁😁
Tracing to me it's a bit like filling up the children's drawing books...
The child opens its drawing book, takes some colour pencils, and start filling up the outlines ready on those pages...
There's something missing to me, it always was dear Bev.
I'm trying hard to change it.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

RobB

Post by RobB »

CFP_3449.jpg
Hey

I believe the dog is a long time dead - the attachment if the foal its grown up some what.

Its going to be a stab in the dark I have reference images for the left and the right sides
oh and one eye. Wish me luck I am going for it now.
Cheers for all the comments feels like the old days again.

Cheerio
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

RobB wrote: ↑Mon May 04, 2020 5:24 pm CFP_3449.jpgHey

a stab in the dark
I love this saying Rob, lol πŸ‘
Yeah, all those commissions and the different case scenarios 😁
I have finished my latest pyrography commissioned project of Chevrolet Camaro Z28, 1973.

I felt inconvenient doing it, becase it was out of my comfort zone - it was the first car ever I was going to do!
I tried my best, but you can imagine...
It supposed to be just (working) practice piece - not the final art at all.
I didn't know whether to introduce colours to it, or not - I did.
Today I think it might would be looking better without colour, lol.
At least the client likes it the way it is - he knows it's first car I've ever attempted, so he was very polite, understanding that I was trying to please him with this piece.
It was also my second woodburning ever, lol, I just got into pyrography when he did ask me to burn the car for him 😁
So I was learning while working on it...

The bad news for me is.., that he likes it and he wants another car (Landrover) to do for him!?
Lol 😁😁😁
Best regards Rob.

RobB

Post by RobB »

After just 10 hours I am calling time
I dont know enough about the dog to continue
just hope I have not over cooked this one.
Oddly enough I enjoyed this has my eldest daughter over my shoulder
for most of this drawing ? she was surprised that I draw so quickly.

Photo not the best

Cheers Rob

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

RobB wrote: ↑Thu May 07, 2020 6:57 pm "After just 10 hours"... "she was surprised that I draw so quickly."
Lol Rob , did she say you was drawing so quickly even though she spent that many hours watching it?
She must had enjoyed it as much as you did πŸ˜πŸ‘

I'm amazed how many hours you've spent on it, just being improving the sketch.
As you know my story already, unfortunately for so many years I was sure the sketching is nothing,but wasting of time...
Instead of sketching, I was hurry to paint, not even thinking of the sketching!

I don't know what was changed regarding my bad habit of tracing, but today I have started my new pyrography project, and I spent about three hours to free hand sketch the lioness on my paper...
Correcting it, adjusting the outlines, making sure it's matching the shape correctly...
I did enjoy it fully!
I could study all those shapes .., slowly.., softly retouching outlines, playing with pencil on the paper...

I was so wrong for so many years...
I woke up, hopefully πŸ‘

Are you about to continue this portrait yet?, or you will call it finished?
It looks finished to me, though πŸ‘
I like it, nice shading, lovely eyes and fur texture πŸ‘

RobB

Post by RobB »

My daughter doesn`t get much of my attention
but we have spent the last three nights within the computer room
once she is fed up playing games she sits next to me watching.

I tend to think she was trying to put me off drawing - she is naughty like that.

I enjoyed this drawing, sketching definitely helped but its not prefect
to be honest its rare that I sketch ever, I tend to think its because I had to plan this out
and map the face for the tell tail marks which makes this their dog - it done finished
never to be attempted again.

Back to horses now I have another 6 to draw I think ?.
Rob