"Hope"-digital(FINISHED).

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

"Hope"-digital(FINISHED).

Post by PogArtTi »

FINISHED

"Hope" - digital oils C.Painter.
Limited palette based on; Winsor&Newton Alkyds Colour Chart.

I was watching the movie today.
At the end the daughter and her dad survived ...
I did like the last moment, when she got up on her tired legs and had raised the hand with the torch to wave to oncoming helicopter...
Smiling back to her dad then, that everything is gonna be good now...
I thought - there's always some hope out there, no matter what.
Stay safe dear friends.

* I've started as usually with blank canvas.
I did block in the background with random strokes of mixed paint. I have roughly free hand sketched the main subject, blocking in to give it the shape.., to map dark, middle and light areas...

Colours used ; Phthalo Blue, Cerulean Blue,Phthalo Green ,Dioxazine Purple,Titanium White and some Payne's Grey.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: "Hope" - digital artwork (WIP)

Post by PogArtTi »

"Hope" - digital oils (WIP)
Limited oils palette based on: Winsor&Newton Alkyds

Today's update ;)
I've been trying to make the rain look like the rain ;) , and I put some more work to darken the t-shirt ...
- Colours used: Phthalo blue and green,Cerulean blue,Dioxazine purple,Lamp black and Titanium white.
Thanks for watching.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Today's update if you like to follow dear friends ;)
Just been improving (I hope ;) )

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

This is fascinating. Did I understand correctly that you’re using a traditional pallet but painting digitally?

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:17 pm This is fascinating. Did I understand correctly that you’re using a traditional pallet but painting digitally?
That's correct Laurene.
What I was missing, is the "connection" to the art when doing digitally...
You've got the colour wheel, where you're moving sliders to choose the colour/value you want - that's it.
Soulless 🤔
I realised it's very "empty" process...
I was missing the process of mixing my oils when I was practising real media for last year ...
I was learning and practising how to mix, what colours to mix, what to do to make saturated colours, or dimmed ...
Lots to practice and get familiar with, isn't it?

The digital colour wheel is quick and convenient to use, but it's washed out of the above "feeling" - if you know I mean 🤔
It doesn't provide the colour principals understanding at all 🤔

I have painted the Grey Wolf mixing the colours using mixer pad as well, but those colours weren't referred to anything, just simply colours.
I felt it's not enough to me, because mixing colours meant more to me when I knew their names 👍

So with this painting I decided to get reference photo of the Winsor&Newton colour chart 👍
Based on that photo colour chart, I took samples of those oil colours and I have made my limited palette 👍

I'm mixing now not a simply blue ..🤔 now the BLUE has its character - the name.
It's Phthalo blue 🙂, which is different to Cerulean blue, which has different characteristic 👍
Do you know I mean Laurene? 👍

Dark blue or light blue picket on the colour wheel - it's not the same to me...

I do feel connected/bonded more to my artwork now 🙂

For example - if you drawing with graphite pencils...
Now choose the dark grey using the colour wheel, then light grey if you need so...
How you feel about it 🤔?
Empty feeling, isn't it?
It's quick and convenient, but the joy of creating the art is missing...

Now try to name those "greys" - 2H, or 4B ...
When you using your pencils that have their names, they have their "soul" , it's not just grey anymore, it's the B, or the HB 🙂

I might be just silly boy, but I found it means to me 👍
Furthermore - I'm carry on learning mixing colours 👍
I am using the knowledge to mix dulled colours, or saturated, hue, value ...
I am still practising it 👍
I was forgetting this process when simply picking colours from the colour wheel - will you agree 👍

Laurene

Re: "Hope" - digital FINISHED.

Post by Laurene »

No, not silly at all. I can understand exactly what you're saying. When you're familiar with your tools you work better when you can just use them instead of having to try to adapt to something different. It makes perfect sense. As I'm learning digital drawing I actually try to duplicate the way that I work on paper. I looked at different videos and studied a couple of tutorials but nothing felt as natural to me as drawing the traditional way.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:15 pm I looked at different videos and studied a couple of tutorials but nothing felt as natural to me as drawing the traditional way.
The same in here 🤘🤠

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

FINISHED

Corel Painter artwork.
Limited oils palette based on; Winsor&Newton Alkyds colour chart.

I'm pleased to introduce my latest learning curve project.
Some of you already know the beginning - I was inspired by the final scene of TV movie, where the girl and her dad have survived...
I'm painting mostly portraits, so I wanted to do some challenge, out of my comfort zone...
It's because I want to change some routines, not only portraits portraits portraits, lol :D
I wish to improve some other aspects of arts too :D

I tried to paint it nicely,to learn something while working on it, get some experience.
The great challenge was to paint good looking rainy environment, the emergency torch flame and to place the subject within this chaos.

I can see some facial disproportions, as it's not very comfortable angle.
I left her left arm a bit "raw" - I did like it this way, with harsh strokes and the light.., kind of unfinished stage.
I believe this gave me some extra "space" to move the viewer attention to her face rather,and raised arm.
Then I just randomly covered her back with imitation of the rain, to make it as realistic as I could.

All critique and comments are welcome - this is how I can learn something.
Thank you.