Learning Procreate

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Digital or Other non-pencil artwork here!

Moderator: ElaineH

Laurene

Learning Procreate

Post by Laurene »

By coincidence I bought my first ipad a little less than a week before we were asked to self-isolate at home. My nieces who are better artists that I could ever have dreamed of when I was their age do wonderful things with Procreate. I've been experimenting and learning for a little over 2 weeks now and I have to say I find it to be a very natural process. I'm using traditional methods that I'm familiar with and taking it from there. So far, I love it!

This is an attempt at a pen and ink with watercolour style. I imported a jpg of toned paper to use as background, and the splashes are brushes available in Procreate.
DWM - LSpino-Sparrow 01.jpg
The second attempt is closer to what I might draw on paper in graphite. When I was done with the wolf, I added the mist and clouds using a brush that comes with Procreate and then using distortion tools. It's a lot of fun and you can pick up an ipad anytime that inspiration strikes. I think it will be a very useful tool to work out compositions and ideas too.
DWM - LSpino-Timber Wolf 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Learning Procreate

Post by PogArtTi »

Wow 😩
I thought.. πŸ€” , this digital spot on Mike's Forum belongs to me only 😩
So far I felt like a king in charge over here in my kingdom, you see πŸ€”
Now you're the main threat to my throne and crown, and I can sense fear in my bones...

Laurene !!! 🀩🀩🀩 πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
I AM AMAZED !!!
What a great pieces of art!
I can see it took you some time to get used to, but what an outcome 🀩🀩🀩
I do like both, but the WOLF is stunning πŸ˜πŸ‘
His face, those old eyes, full of unknown,hidden tales he went through...!
Don't know what else can I say...
I am sooooo happyyyyyy I will not be alone any more 😁😁😁, and I will LOVE TO SHARE the throne and kingdom and everything with you and anybody else of course 😁😁😁
I'm so happy knowing, that you'll post your digital arts as well πŸ€©πŸ‘
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi Artur. I promise. I'm not after anyone's throne! :lol:

I'm just learning to use Procreate so I'm using traditional methods that I'm already comfortable with. I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. I guess I had a prejudice that this was something that only kids use, but boy oh boy was I ever wrong!! Right now, I'm using it like a sketchbook that I can pick up anytime, anywhere, and just draw for a few minutes or for an hour if I want to.

I love the way you use digital art to produce a painting that looks just like an oil painting!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: ↑Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:27 am Hi Artur. I promise. I'm not after anyone's throne! :lol:
Uffffff 😩 it's good to know 😩
I'll sleep much better now πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Laurene, you have worked out your art style already, and it shows in the above examples very well πŸ€©πŸ‘
You said - for kids...
In my case I've never seen any kids drawing on tablets, so I thought it's just good for me to get some quick sketches done when away, at work or such, just to give me some daily drawing exercise πŸ€”
I was impatient too, to leran the program!
So after couple of attempts I was getting less and less motivated, because instead of having practice my sketches, I was frustrated by choosing the tools, making mistakes, or loosing what I was working on for half an hour πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘
So I was tempting to use the tablet, but I had never put enough of work to get familiar to those settings πŸ€”
No interest to learn it at all - for so many years!
I was after commissions, profits, you know...
Digital art?, lol such wasting of time 😁

Years past by, I learnt I'm not making any money, lol 😁, and then by coincidence I started digital drawings , lol lol lol 😁

And NOT, I didn't start digital drawings because of being inspired by somebody's
digital work πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜

I was learning pyrography at that time 😁

I had begun upgrading my PC for my photo hobby, to have a stronger computer to deal with the photos on PhotoShop.., and by doing so I have changed the mouse for better one...

Then after having my new mouse I saw some tutorial.., πŸ€”
I learnt, that using a tablet for post processing photography on the PhotoShop is much much better and easier! 😲
I did return that mouse and I have bought Wacom tablet insted - for easier reworking my photos 😁😁😁

The idea of start the digital painting came up by coincident then, because I didn't mean to at the first thought 😁😁😁

This is how I got into digital drawing Laurene - it's full story lol 😁😁😁

So having the proper tablet has made me start thinking of practising my sketches on my desktop computer πŸ‘
From this point I started searching for good drawing program, watching the tutorials how to use Wacom tablet for drawing...
Lol πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

What I didn't know, it that the digital drawing is the thing I was missing for years πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜

I left my pyrography behind, I know...
I'm not giving it up, though πŸ‘
All I'm saying is the digital painting took my heart fully, and instead of burning the wood, I'm craving to practice digital painting ...
That's all πŸ‘
I love the way you use digital art to produce a painting that looks just like an oil painting!
Thank you, it's very kind of you πŸ‘
I used to use the oils as smoothly as my airbrush paint...
I never have liked the heavy body brush strokes at all...
So my oils were looking like acrylic painting ...
This is very alike what I'm doing right now on my digital artwork...
I'm still discovering new things, and I just found out some time ago, that some brushes are oil brushes, and they leave heavy brush strokes - visible!
Not knowing about it, I was swapping brushes, to discover later on, that I have some unpleasant marks on my canvas visible ...
It took me some efforts to mask those, not all of them though...
I know I need to be careful now, what brushes I choose πŸ‘
Anyway, I'm finding myself being a bit more interested to try that heavt body oil brushes, to paint my art fully πŸ‘
Don't know yet if I do, but it's tempting...

Best regards Laurene, and thank you for kind comment πŸ‘
I just have received some critiques for my wolf painting from an artist who is an admin of the group, and she's right I think.
She has pin pointed that the background , the tree and the rock doesn't match too well the wolf's quality...
She said it's like two people were painting one picture.
I think it's very true.
I have never been planning my drawings, not concept no nothing...
Tracing the outlines rather, and doing my best to make the subject good looking.
So I can see the lack of planning in my arts now ...
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*