"Hana"-pyrography(FINISHED)

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

"Hana"-pyrography(FINISHED)

Post by PogArtTi »

This is my second attempt in pyrography.
Shortly after my first pyrography piece on Birch wood board (Bruno the Labrador),I discovered some artists burning their arts on paper as well...
I was willing to try!
Paper in comparison to the wood, has more contrast, I thought it might be advantage to use it in favour of building up the light and dark πŸ€”
This is how I begun this piece.
I have no much experience at all yet, but so far I can tell, that the paper is not forgiving mistakes.
It's so easy to harshly burn the spot with too hot tip, and it's nearly impossible to hide it, compared to the wooden panel.
I'm also struggling with smooth shading some of larger areas, like cheeks for example...
So easy to burn it, so hard to make it looking smooth...
I'm not giving up though, I'm learning on my mistakes...
Let's hope I can improve on my next attempts...
I left it over for a while, next update soon πŸ‘
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Re: "Hana" - pyrography on paper (WIP)

Post by LindasPencils »

Wowsa! You did this on your first attempt? Like BURNING the paper? Gob-smacked, literally, I am. The control you need must be extreme to get such a great result. Do you have to use a special paper? If so, how heavy? This is amazing.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm sorry it seems I've forgot to mention what paper πŸ™‚
I couldn't find information what's best paper, so I imagined it suppose to be heavyweight one...
I bought the Strathmore 500 Mixed Media (vellum finish), it's 9in/12in 350lb.

Thank you for keen comment Linda...
It's encouraging my efforts very well πŸ™‚
And yes, it's the first try off to do something on the paper...
I'm learning while working on it πŸ‘
Thank you for appreciate...
There's no much left to finish it, but I'm working currently on two other projects, where the Chevrolet (pyrography on Poplar wood) has priority for now, it's for my car mechanic to pay off the repair of my car πŸ˜πŸ‘
To be honest I have no heart to do cars or any mechanical things πŸ€”
It's taking me ages to burn it - I confess πŸ™
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I remember this project very well from Facebook, and I remember thinking that this was too delicate a subject to succeed well with pyrography...and then you proved me wrong! The hat is as finely done as the face!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: ↑Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:28 pm I remember this project very well from Facebook, and I remember thinking that this was too delicate a subject to succeed well with pyrography...and then you proved me wrong! The hat is as finely done as the face!
You are very kind with your words as usually my friend.
Thank you πŸ‘
To do shading on to larger areas I'm using gas torch, at least - I'm trying to.
The problem is, it doesn't work too well - or I'm still struggling to use it properly πŸ€”
I found that when I'm moving the gas torch frequently there and back to do some shading, it's actually heating the surface only, with very little shading effect if any?!
This fact was making me to point the torch on one spot for a bit longer - just to make it work, and start shading the surface... πŸ€”
Well ... πŸ™
What's happens next, that spot is getting much more of the torch heat and quickly becomes of a dark spot, where the surrounded area is still light in colour...
The above is making me to adjust the surroundings, what is very tricky to do, and I'm ending with darker spots next to the other darker spots...
Do you know I mean?
Yes, I'm getting lucky sometime, and I am achieving smoother looking area, but it's very uneven, and I need more practice to learn to control it much better.
What I found is also the shading tone - it's different hue when burned by the gas torch ...
So it's not working well if I'd like to support tip burn area with gas torch...
The difference of the colour of the burn is noticeable.

I love pyrography, I'm after to practice it, it is amazing, but I confess I did discover the digital painting just week after I started pyrography...
And I got lost with it!
The digital art have amazed me so deeply, so my motivation of pyrography got a bit dimmed...
The force to burn the Chevrolet doesn't help 😩
At first I thought it will be good to experiment for first time to do the "car" ..., to realise a bit later, that I don't enjoy it ...
I'm just forcing myself to get it done...
Once I finish, I will happily get back to this Hana project πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
And then some more, because pyrography is something extraordinary 🀘🀠
Thank you Laurene.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I left this project far behind...
It's because I got into TWO other things at once - the digital learning curve, and if I had any extra free time, then I did put it into finishing the Chevrolet (pyrography too) commissioned piece...
Which I just finished yesterday.

This "Hana" project was my personal, so I felt there's no rush...
Today having the extra time back, I started improving this portrait again.
I managed to do some additional shapes and shading around the coat, I have done some improvements on the face, and around the bottom edge of the hat, just been improving the shadow tones...

Thanks for watching.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: "Hana"-pyrography on paper *FINISHED

Post by Laurene »

Beautiful work! I’m glad you finished it. It’s amazing that you’re just starting in pyrography.

PogArtTi

Re: "Hana"-pyrography on paper *FINISHED

Post by PogArtTi »

FINISHED

I'm pleased to share this learning project, made on ;
9"/12" Strathmore Mixed Media Heavyweight paper.

It's my niece Hana, I have plenty of useful photos of her, so it's easy to use any for practice 😁😁😁
She's beautiful model to paint , though πŸ‘πŸ˜
This is the third pyrography project so far, but the FIRST burned on the paper...
I was learning while working on it.
I hope you like my efforts.
Thank you for watching.