Pulley Fish WIP

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
LindasPencils

Pulley Fish WIP

Post by LindasPencils »

When is a fish not a fish? When its a pulley!
While searching through my bits and bobs of mechanical reference items I pulled out a window sash pulley and realised how much it was fish shaped. Bingo! The next idea for my Mech drawings popped into my brain. I sat on the idea for awhile, did some sketches and planning and have now begun to draw.
Paper: Fabriano Artistico Extra White 300gsm Hot Press
Size: Mount area 33 x 38cm, Image area 28 x 22cm
Media: Graphitint pencil wash 'Ocean Blue', Graphite pencil wash 4B Derwent, Dry pencils in 4H, 2H, F, HB, 2B Staedler Mars clutch and woods and a Staedler Mars Carbon Blue pencil clutch.
Time so far: 4/5 hours planning. 4 hours wash and drawing.
PulleyFish_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: Pulley Fish WIP

Post by LindasPencils »

About 3 hours today.
PulleyFish_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Stage 3. Another 5 hours.
PulleyFish_3.jpg

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I can't help feeling you've got this absolutely right. A cursory glance, and we see fish in the sea... followed by a double-take and a bit of head scratching :D
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thank you Mike. This was also inspired by a visit to the Monterey Aquarium in California last year. They have this large cyclindrical tank filled with a massive school of sardines/anchovie fish that swim around, and around and around and... They are a fascinating and beautiful bio-mass of silver that flicker and turn. All moving in more or less the same direction arond this tank. I was mezmerised by the spectical and after 10 minutes or so my sister had to drag me away to see the jellies. Which may be my next drawing!

anyway, here is the final result after around another 15 or 20 hours or so.
PulleyFishFinal DWM.JPG
PulleyFishDetail DWM.JPG

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I think this is superb, and I really really don't want to spoil it... but one thing catches my eye.

There are 5 or 6 pulleys that show the internal pulley wheel. Then there's 1 that shows it completely. It's that one that bothers me. Maybe it's just me being weird, but it's a bit like seeing a single black sheep in a flock of white sheep - I can't fail to notice it.

The shading of the blue sides of all the pulleys suggests that those sides are slightly convex, or certainly not entirely flat. So that single pulley looks odd to me because it doesn't display any blue at all.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Well Mike, you know you can say anything in a critique of my work and I won't be offended.

and actually... I am pleased you pointed this out . Because.... (drum roll).... That is EXACTLY what I wanted that odd one out to do :!: Just that one fish twisting away from the crowd. There is another one similar trying to do the same up in the top left, but it is hidden behind other fish and I note that it is bluer than the Odd Fish.
There is a slight blue edge to Odd Fish, but I will increase it slightly to match Lefty more and be a bit convex.

so Thank You! Your input is always appreciated. ;)

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

a bit of a modification to Odd Fish as you suggested Mike - I just used my tablet not camera for these shots so not tonally/hue accurate - the paper is whiter!
PulleyFishFinal4.jpg
PulleyDetail2.jpg

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi Linda. I haven’t been around much lately. I was concentrating on setting up to work from home. It was challenging at first, but it’s all working out very well now. I’m finding time to draw again too.

I find this so enchanting! The shape, colour and movement all give the impression of a school of fish. I almost wish I hadn’t read the description first just to see how long it would have taken me to discover what I was really looking at! For some reason my mind flashed on Alice in Wonderland. This is just the sort of scene she might have wandered into! I can imagine it scored to music in Fantasia too!!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Well, I'm fascinated again with your art Linda!!!
You are amazing me with your unique imagination!
I can't think of anything you could`t have use as your subject 😁👍
I'm concerned about Mike's suggestion, regarding the shading of the sides of all those "fish" around, do you think that it should have be reflected (the curve,if any...) somehow 🙂👍
I'm a big fan of your talent dear Linda and your arts that keep fascinating me👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*