Another spoon.

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Coloured Pencil and Pastel drawings, or mixed media masterpieces here!

Moderator: ElaineH

LindasPencils

Another spoon.

Post by LindasPencils »

This one is #12 of the series. I have only shown one other here - 'teatime'.

But Art in the Time of Corona, eh?

the paragrah that goes with this one is:
Thai coffee Spoon – Unknown maker and composition, possibly electro plate 1980’s
The honeymoon in Thailand was all they could have dreamed of. Four days in Phuket and three in Bangkok, then they were due back to a dreary Melbourne winter. They had worked and saved for this trip and spent the week relaxing on tropical beaches, touring opulent royal palaces, ancient ruins and ornate temples and were enjoying every second of it. She especially loved the floating market and wanted to see every other market possible. So now, hand in hand, on their final day, they were strolling through the Chatuchak market. It was, she had said, important that the bring back a souvenir of their trip. Nothing too tacky or too touristy. Of course it must be locally made and something they could use. Something that spoke of the trip and would remind them of it every time they used it. After much searching, they saw the perfect thing; a delightful set of 6 silver coffee spoons with a tiny Yaksha temple guard on each handle tip. Despite their fearful appearance, Yaksha are charged with taking care of precious things. These spoons seemed a perfect memento of their honeymoon and would guard their precious love. Much bargaining was engaged in, the stall holder asked a premium price, insisting they were made by a famous local craftsman. Finally, both parties were satisfied, and the honeymooners left with their prize.
It wasn’t until years later, when polishing the spoons, that she noticed a tiny stamp on the rear of the bowl that read: ITALY.
Thai Coffee Spoon DWM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Another spoon.

Post by Laurene »

:lol: Great ending Linda! You know, if you have do enough of these, I see a book along the lines of "Chicken Soup for Artists". You're giving us wonderful stories that make us go back to the artwork with fresh eyes,

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I love the story - and the punchline :D

I confess I too was thinking "book". It's the perfect vehicle for this collection. An ideal opportunity to create more "spoon collectors". Or just collectors of anything where the beauty is not always immediately apparent, but a little research opens up a whole new world.

Not forgetting the complimentary "Steam Punk" book of course!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thank you both. Yes, I will be 'self-publishing' a small book of these drawings and paragraphs as a catalogue to accompany the exhibition. Maybe print 50 or so. I am planning 20 works in all, so a nice 24 page glossy self cover A4 book. Thinking of calling it 'Runcible' . There is a runcible spoon drawing as well. Or not.

not sure about the Steam Punk book Mike - I will ask the gallery manager what he thinks, he often does them to support exhibitions.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Excellent! You've sold one copy - just 49 to go :D
Mike Sibley

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

awww, Mike. You get one for a Christmas present! 🎅

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:36 pm awww, Mike. You get one for a Christmas present! 🎅
Thanks! But business is business - I'm paying! No arguing! ;)
Mike Sibley