Charcoal

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Coloured Pencil and Pastel drawings, or mixed media masterpieces here!

Moderator: ElaineH

LindasPencils

Charcoal

Post by LindasPencils »

Well, not colour... but not graphite so I guess this is the spot to post this.
A demonstration work done for my final class this term. Sadly, all classes have been cancelled for the foreseeable future - :evil:
The previous week we went outside and sketched plein air some of the lovely trees around the art centre studio. Most of the students chose a large, lollipop shaped paperbark tree, so I did also. We also took photos of the tree, then this week returned inside to the studio and worked up a drawing using our sketches and photos as reference.

This work is A3 paper, Art Spectrum Colourfix 'Rose Grey'. I began by laying down broad areas of tone using a piece of vine charcoal then smudging and working it up with a tortillion. Next came detail work with charcoal pencils. Pencils used were Derwent Charcoal pencils, Light, Medium, and Dark with highlights in white charcoal. Time spent was about 1.5 hours or more.
PaperbarkCharcoalDWM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Charcoal

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm going to apologise for this beforehand - because I know what's coming and I can't stop it...

It reminds me an awful lot of a very camp Peacock with a bouffant hairdo viewed from behind :D

Thank you. I feel better now ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

lol. 😁🤣 I will never look at this in the same way again.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, well well...quite the imagery you've created ! Now, we can never unsee it! Ok, admit it Mike, this wouldn't have anything to do with your visceral aversion to charcoal and all things messy, would it? :lol:

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:23 am Ok, admit it Mike, this wouldn't have anything to do with your visceral aversion to charcoal and all things messy, would it?
No, no... the thought never entered my mind!! Honest!!!! :o :shock:

It's simply that I can't help seeing two legs and a thoroughly back-combed tail :)

Perhaps I should mention that our neighbours (the lot before the lot before last) had peacocks that spent a considerable time in our garden. So I'm used to seeing them displaying.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm starting to wonder...🤔 if I did a right thing to join this forum!?
🤣🤣🤣
Now I'm questioning myself - is it tree, or not a tree 🤔
😁😁😁
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*