Gessoed panel birch or mdf

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Tim8031

Gessoed panel birch or mdf

Post by Tim8031 »

I wonder if anyone has tried graphite on gessoed board. I have seen some impressive work done this way. I am curious how graphite would react to this surface. I have considered this for a almost life size moose. Gonna do some small samples. Just looking for any input if you have tried this . Thank you

LindasPencils

Re: Gessoed panel birch or mdf

Post by LindasPencils »

Hi Tim. I have not used a panel before, however I recently used a canvas that required gesso to create a surface. I found the key was to do multiple coats of gesso and sand with a fine grit paper between each coat.
The gesso should not be too thick, thin with water to a texture like pouring cream (not thickened cream) and apply to the surface with broad, flat brush in even strokes in one direction. Let dry completely - this can be up to 8 hours or more! Then sand down the surface with the fine sandpaper - I use a hand held block I got from the hardware store. Dust off the surface then apply gesso again, painting the opposite direction (i.e, vertical, horziontal then vertical, etc), sand and repeat until you have built up a smooth, procelain type of surface. Almost like a Bristol smooth.
With canvas, because it soaks in, this took 7 coats to achieve the result I wanted. With a board I would think you could get away with far less, maybe 3 or 4 coats.
Remember, the real trick is to sand in between coats to create that smooth surface. Good luck - I hope you show us what you draw and tell how it went. I have a panel kicking around in the cupboard I would like to try so your experiments would be invaluable!

Tim8031

Post by Tim8031 »

Thank you I am preparing some panels now. Will post when I get it done. Did you like using graphite on canvas.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Did you like using graphite on canvas.
Surprizingly, I did! It was a challenge and I am always up for one of those. The effect was nice. The canvas had a bit of bounce to it which took some getting used to, but worked out okay in th end. I liked the final effect as well.

Not sure if I would do it often though. Canvas pre was a pain in the behind. I mean, I spend so much time planning my drawings in the first place, each drawing then takes around 30 hours for something that size, so to add another week to prep a canvas just makes it too looooooooooooong. Paper is right there!

But I will do it again. Just not real soon. First I want to try that board, but am waiting to see what your results are like first!
(no pressure) :D