Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Cazza59

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Post by Cazza59 »

I was asked to draw this dog for my client's brother in law. His wife has recently passed away and she got the dog before that happened. Molly now keeps him company.

I drew this on pastelmat usng Polychromos pencils. It was bigger than I normally draw, at A3 size. The client is super happy, but I would be interested to learn of any areas that I could improve on in my next drawing.

Now I will try to add the image, LOL.
molly stitched together.jpg
I hope I did this right as its my first attempt to post here.

Carol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim8031

Re: Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Post by Tim8031 »

Terrific job.

Cazza59

Post by Cazza59 »

Thank you very much, Tim.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I think our Linda (LindasPencils) is the person to listen to for advice with pastels - assuming advice is needed, of course :)

From a purely drawing point of view I think it's spectacular. And one thing that really struck me was... that the nose cuts across the left-hand eye but it's instantly understandable. I think that was something I might have tried to avoid. Not because it's "not right" but because it's so easy to get it wrong... which you most certainly have not. That little bead of water in the bottom really does its job admirably too.

I do find the colouring of the ears a little over-bright and distracting, but the colouring is quite possibly correct, or it's just that my monitor has a love of orange and pink :roll:

My first reaction when I saw this - and I pay a lot of attention to the first reaction - was.... OH, YES! You nailed it ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

assuming advice is needed, of course
Naw. Carol doesn't need my advice! This is wonderful work.
...everything you said Mike, ditto...

Re the pinkness used - my monitor have them quite bright as well. I tend to avoid using the straight pinks of the pencil (same with the greens). Instead I will layer first with a cream yellow before adding the pink. Also I will try and use a contrast/complimentary colour for the shadows in those areas to tone down the brightness. So something like a indigo blue or dark purple in the oranges.

Maybe do a few experiments and play around with different ways to layer and alter the hues of pinks and other colours another time. Sometimes pink or green straight from the tip can be a bit unnatural looking and you need to balance it. Remember too the hue adjacent will affect the colour as well.

I sure can see why the client loves this work. It is a treasure.

Cazza59

Post by Cazza59 »

Oh my goodness, thank you both for your lovely replies!

Interesting that you both picked up on the ears, as they were the bits I was least satisfied with. Once I had the pink overly bright I had trouble trying to soften it on the left ear. The right ear went much too orange, I wish I had known about using a blue to tone it down! In the photo it was indeed darker and brighter than the neck fur which looked a little odd to me.

Thank you again, and if its ok I would love to post more drawings in here for feedback.

Regards,

Carol

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Cazza59 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:11 pm ...and if it's OK I would love to post more drawings in here for feedback.
Well..... eeeerrrrmmmm... let's see....?

What the heck - throw 'em at us! :D

Preferably one at a time ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Just beautiful!! When I want to reach out and hug an animal in a drawing I know I wouldn't change a single thing a about it! :)

Cazza59

Post by Cazza59 »

Aw thank you so much Laurene. :)

Regards,

Carol

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm a BIG fan of this type of breeds, so you have me adoring this stunning portrait as well 👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*