Chipmunk WIP

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Picasso2

Chipmunk WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

Hi Mike and Linda
This chipmunk is a regular visitor to neighbours of our friends in Ely Minnesota - probably because they feed him peanuts! While he was munching away, it was a great opportunity to take photos. I think I have now got to the stage of fiddling and am not sure what else I should do to him. I'm also not sure whether I have handled the foliage properly. There was a lot of dark areas amongst the foliage, but I haven't been game to put those in, as I thought they may detract from the chipmunk.
Any advice greatly appreciated!
Regards
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim8031

Re: Chipmunk WIP

Post by Tim8031 »

I think some darks in college may help pop lighter toned chipmunk forward. Some more contrast from dark to light would help image. Great job. Don't be afraid of darks that was always something that held my work back. Now I generally use the rule when I think its dark enough go a little darker . Never lets me done. All the best. Tim

Tim8031

Post by Tim8031 »

In foliage I meant damn spell check changed word lol

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm with Tim on this. It needs those darks. Darks in the foliage will push the Chipmunk forwards. Then, I suspect, the Chipmunk will look too light (which it is) and demand darks of its own. As long as the eyes contain the darkest values (they will withstand some darkening too), you can be quite bold with them.

Something else you might like to try too: lightly layer 2H over the fur - except where you want any white to remain, such as in bright highlights. It's not easy to explain, but when you remove the white (which doesn't really exist in a Chipmunk's hair) it will tie everything together. It will appear to be more solid. And, again, you might then find you need to darken the body to restore the three-dimensionality.

All that said, he's definitely a muscle-man male, and a nut lover :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

It needs those darks. Darks in the foliage will push the Chipmunk forwards
Exactly what I was going to say! I know you hesitate over getting too dark Jean, but in this instance I think it is needed.
lightly layer 2H over the fur
OR that softly rounded F pencil as you used on the first Chipmunk. You have a light hand so you may want a slightly softer/darker pencil than the 2H. Try both and see what suits.

Good work Jean - but a push into the dark side needed.

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks for your comments , everyone. Yes, those darks are something I really have to force myself to work on. Will keep trying!!!
Regards
Jean

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Picasso2 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:01 am Yes, those darks are something I really have to force myself to work on. Will keep trying!!!
Here's a suggestion that I think will help you, Jean: Draw the head of your Chipmunk again - but this is a throw-away drawing, so if it goes wrong it won't matter.

Looking at your current drawing, I think we're agreed that the darkest value is the eye. So, draw that first - outline the key highlight to protect its white, and then shade the eye black. But I mean REALLY black. Try a 2B or 4B and then layer over that with an HB - and apply as much weight as you need to. You need to fill every little hole in your paper with graphite.

Done that?

OK... now draw the rest of the head - referring to the eye as your darkest value and the white of your paper as you lightest. I think you'll find that the body will look too light now the eye is really black.

Whever possible I begin every drawing by beginning with a bit of the darkest value. From that point on, everything in between that dark and the white paper naturally falls into place.

This should explain better: LAYER & BURNISH
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net