Red Chalk Lion demo

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
LindasPencils

Red Chalk Lion demo

Post by LindasPencils »

I did this yesterday as a demonstration piece for my Wednesday class. When using the chalks people often try to draw the 'colour', but you need to think of the tone instead. Best way I can explain is to look at a colour image and ask yourself 'How would I do that in graphite?' Then think of the red chalk as your first tone (like an HB maybe). The tone of the paper in this isntance is the mid tone. The Sepia's and Umber chalks are the dark tones. I felt a full demo drawing would help get across the idea of using Sanguine/Sepia/Umber chalks as TONE not colour.

Time: One hour
Medium: Staedtler Mars Pastel Pencils as in the other post/ Some tortillion use, some blue tacking off
Paper: Strathmore Toned Tan
Reference: Photo of Werribee lion taken in 2018

My lion is a bit wonky proportionally, but it looks like a lion so I guess that is all you can ask! :D
SanguineLionSm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Red Chalk Lion demo

Post by PogArtTi »

I did listen to your words, I never thought this way, I'm like you've mentioned, just looking on the colour I'm about to match, not anything else 🤔
Or I do what you say, but automatically 🤔 kind of unconsciously ...
And thank you for advice of what animal it is 👍
I took it for a Mr.mouse who didn't shave this morning 😁 (joke👍)
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*