GUIDELINE BASICS - DEVICE METHODS

Join a discussion, suggest suitable subjects, or ask Mike questions about the videos.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

GUIDELINE BASICS - DEVICE METHODS

Post by Mike Sibley »

Well, it's been a long wait - and I thank you for your patience - but the new video is now available.

GUIDELINE BASICS - DEVICE METHODS introduces you to five digital or optical devices you can use to quickly reduce a photo reference to line, or to transfer that line drawing to your final drawing paper. The fifth explains how to use Photoshop to quickly reduce any photo to pure line. There will be an PDF available soon too.

As usual, there are demonstrations, animations, and advice. Of the five devices, I've personally used three of them... but I know how to use the other two :)

BONUS: exclusive to DRAW WITH MIKE Members, Lucid Art are offering you a discount on their versatile LUCY Camera Lucida, which you'll see demonstrated in the video. You can save $10 with this bonus discount link.

Quick Link: GUIDELINE BASICS - DEVICE METHODS
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Re: GUIDELINE BASICS - DEVICE METHODS

Post by Laurene »

Very very useful information in this video Mike! Well worth the wait! Thank you.

I agree that when tracing a subject, we learn because we're forced to observe details that we might otherwise overlook. However the photoshop method would be a real time saver for a subject that we're already familiar with.

I use Paint Shop Pro (similar to Photoshop) to compose and size a drawing. Then I print it out on regular copier paper, not photo paper since this would be too opaque for the next step. Finally I trace at least outlines and important features like eyes for placement, using a light table. I can't really trace detail using this method, but my proportions are respected and that's what I'm looking for. I can always refer to the original digitalized photo for finer details. Not the most efficient way to work though.

It helps to know just how many methods are possible!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:46 pm However, the Photoshop method would be a real time saver for a subject that we're already familiar with.
Or - and this is probably my main use of it - if I have half an idea I can throw photos into Photoshop, render them down to line, and then play around with them. It cuts out all the tracing time required.

As soon as I have the time I'll make a PDF of instructions for photo-to-line in Photoshop. And I'll include GIMP too, because I've already worked out how to do it. I don't have Pain Shop Pro, but I know many other people do, so I'll try to include that too. Now....who do I know who might have PSPro... ? :roll: ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

:D Happy to do it Mike! Once I see the photoshop pdf, I can work up the paint shop pro equivalent quite quickly. The commands are very similar.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:00 pm Now....who do I know who might have PSPro... ? :roll: ;)
I have Corel PaintShop Pro as well, lol 👍
I just got it for few days, still confused how to do things I used to in Adobe PhotoShop 😁😁😁
You already know my situation Mike, and it's even getting worst because of the worldwide circumstances, less working hours, 80% weekly wages, etc...
So I was looking for solution to cancel Adobe subscription (nearly £10 per month)...
I did like C.PaintShop Pro, but wasn't sure to go for it, so I have asked Laurene, and thanks to her opinion I went for it 👍
Saying that, I'm not sure if I'd like to use the software for outlines making 🤔
It's because I'm trying to change something regarding my artwork, to breach the blocking me routine 🤔
I used to find the reference, trace the exact outlines on my canvas or the paper, and make my artwork as close as possible to match the original, trying also to not hold on the reference too tight, to let myself some free will, to paint it my way, but being guided by the reference - if that's making sense 🤔
Now I'm trying to change the above...
I've started with the latest wolf artwork.
I haven't trace anything for first time.
I started off with free hand sketch on my canvas, I did set limited palette of my favourite colours, and I was mix8ng those colours myself to paint the wolf...
I'm just trying to encourage myself to free hand sketch rather than tracing...
It's not easy process to be honest, if you bear in mind, that I started learning drawing back in 2015, and I was always tracing all my subject...
After 5 years I'm trying to sketch it free hand instead 🤔
I feel like fighting against my routine within my mind 😁
But I'll be interested to follow this post dear friends, I don't have to use it, it's wise to be aware of the ways of getting outlines using the software on my computer.
Thank you.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*