"Red Fox" - digital painting

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Digital or Other non-pencil artwork here!

Moderator: ElaineH

PogArtTi

"Red Fox" - digital painting

Post by PogArtTi »

There's some story behind it...
I painted this fox nearly two years ago using the airbrush onto clayboard.
I sent it to the Laser Studio in York to get the digital scan and prints done.
Full story in short - that studio has bankrupted,it was locked down, somebody has received the painting,no phones were ever answered afterwards, I lost the painting... πŸ™

So this is the second time I did paint that fox, it's the third digital learning piece I did so far.
I'm painting old fashion way, so tracing the outlines, then blocking in roughly, and carry on working from that stage towards details.
I hope you like it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: "Red Fox" - digital painting

Post by Mike Sibley »

I didn't know you lost the original when ReproTech went under. That's sad news indeed. Fortunately, I didn't have anything there at the time, but, equally unfortunately, I've not yet found an alternative pre-press house with a laser drum scanner.

Lovely drawing! Perhaps a little too well-groomed for me, but that's just my preference and not something to take notice of.

On the other hand... I can see this, and any similar drawings, making excellent book illustrations. It's clear, concise, very easily viewed, and devoid of printing problems.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

We did discuss that ReproTech "thing" in past Mike, you must have forgotten, it was quite long ago...
You told me that you're searching for new place with the drum scanner, I can see now you didn't find it, so sad, because I loved my arts to be scanned with such perfection to the detail πŸ‘

Anyway thank you again for kind comment.
I love the idea of book illustration, yes, it might work very well for that purpose, and obviously the printing too πŸ‘
You're right regarding grooming I suppose πŸ€”
Now when I'm looking at it, after reading your words, I can see the fur is so tight shaped to the perfection alike πŸ€”
Maybe I was too much after to match the reference photo...
I will remember your words πŸ‘
Thank you.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm reminded that I have a good artist friend in Montana who is an absolute perfectionist. His animals, such as a Bison I recall, are perfect too.

The problem is... Bison are not perfect!

Perfect is OK. But real life is scruffy! :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I know you mean very well, and to be honest I'm thinking that I'm avoiding the "perfection" , but the fox looks very "clear" - I do agree πŸ€”
Why it's that - I'm wonder 😁
I'm always messing with the fur, placing my strokes randomly, trying to cross over, different angles, you know...
But I can see the fox is looking like after barber shop 😁
No idea, as if I look at it closer, all I said above is visible πŸ€”
The fur is a bit messy on the chest, on his face goes different shapes/angles so on the ear...
The ony two places I can see the fur is very straight forward is back of the head and the neck, and the leg, where it's very short...
Also the tail ..., I tried to make sure it's randomly stroked and blurred too, as it's at the back of the fox a bit ...
No clue why it does look so clean πŸ€£πŸ‘
I'll send you the reference later on, the answer might be over there... πŸ€”
Thanks πŸ‘