Parfait Spoon

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
LindasPencils

Parfait Spoon

Post by LindasPencils »

Have you seen Mike's latest video yet on the 'Magic' step? You must see it. He explains the creative process so well.
https://sibleyfineart.com/_members-area ... -magic.htm

I use a very similar method to how Mike outlines in my works. A combination of trace, grid with a larger amount of freehand drawing. But the key element in to avoid as much as possible copying a photograph.

Last year I won a major award, the Terry Collins award at AGRA https://www.agra.org.au/about. Part of the prize is a joint exhibition to be held later this year. I have been in a quandry about what to present, as I have a lot planned this year. But then I started playing about with my spoon collection and thought I could do something with that. My spoons were all epns types found at the local op shop for around $1 or so, or else Sterling that I have aquired from family/friends over the years. It isn't a valuable collection, but they are interesting and fun to draw.

But how to make them more interesting than just a spoon? Well, each has a story. Either how I found it, where it comes from, its history (real or imagined) or something individual to that spoon. So I decided to tell that story for each one - illustrating the story/history and including a paragraph with each work.

They are created by freehand sketching the elements and planning the work. Then photographing the spoon to size and creating a trace outline with the addtion of the 'story' element - transferred to Bristol smooth 250gsm A4 paper. The spoons are drawn in pure graphite and the element in colour

There are so far 10 in the series. Here is the Parfait Spoon drawing.
Parfait Spoons.jpg
Parfait Spoon Rodd EPNS Duchess pattern 1950-60
Now who doesn’t enjoy a chocolate Sundae? And this parfait spoon found for $1 at the Op Shop makes getting that last bit of ice cream from the bottom of the glass easy!
Fun fact; when I was taking a gap year from University - okay, truth is I failed 2nd year due to overindulgence in party behaviour – but anyway, while I was sorting out my future and after 3 months of boredom living on the dole, I found a job as a Diamond Turner Machinist at Rodd’s jewellery and silversmith factory in St. Kilda. I cut rings from tubes of gold on the machine and polished endless pieces of commercial silver crosses and pendants. I was often rotated to the packing room when there were no ring orders. There I learned quite a lot about life, love, sex and perseverance from the wonderful ladies in the packing room. Mainly immigrants from all around the world, each woman had words of wisdom they were never shy to share – even if I didn’t want them. After 12 months at Rodd’s, an older, wiser and sober young woman with the encouragement of those ladies, I returned to RMIT to complete my Arts Diploma.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Parfait Spoon

Post by Laurene »

Wonderful idea Linda! The ice cream parfait made me want to read the story which made me go back to the artwork with a new appreciation for the story told. I predict this will be a big hit at the exhibition. I can just hear patrons chime in with their own stories!

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thank you Lauren. But LAWDIE - I went the meeting about this exhibition and they said they wanted TWENTY works. 20!!! Holy heck. Looks like this Covid19 lockdown is a blessing in disguise as I will be busy. Nine more to draw...

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Hi Linda
What a brilliant idea for the Medallion Exhibition and it is so nice having the story behind the drawing. Definitely something different for AGRA and I'm sure it will be a huge success. Keep working hard and as you say there is nothing much else to distract you at present!
Cheers
Jean