swaledale sheep

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

swaledale sheep

Post by LindasPencils »

IMG_20240521_083800384~2.jpg
I had the most wonderful day yesterday taken for a drive through the Yorkshire Dales, up and over and back the Buttertubs pass. All along the roads were these black faced Dales sheep.
I did this quick sketch before bed, based on memory, photos and a Google image. In my small pocket Handbook using a 2b pencil and a black Lamy pen that I washed a bit.
Thank you M & J!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: swadale sheep

Post by Mike Sibley »

Well, Linda, you'd mentioned your interest in both "All Creatures Great and Small" and "Wallace and Gromit", so we HAD to take you for a drive through Wensleydale (Cheese, Gromit?). :)

So, up the length of Wensleydale to Hawes (JAMES HERIOT filming country), over Buttertubs Pass, and back down Swaledale (after which the sheep are named).
Our LindasPencils in Buttertubs Pass:
LINDA-WDale.jpg
Studying sensible Swaledale sheep for her delightful drawing. The others just stand in the middle of the road trying to work out which side to go for grass...... while we drive around them. :roll: ;)

Jenny and I have got Linda all to ourselves, all week! Couldn't be better! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Re: swaledale sheep

Post by LindasPencils »

I keep reminding Mike about fish and visitors...!
But this is the most beautiful country and I think I could stay forever
But don't worry Mike :D

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Sounds like a dream trip!!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Well, it was for us. We've not only had a lovely week with Linda, we even got a further 5-day bonus! :) After a time up in Scotland. This is at Duff House:
LINDA-Scotland.jpg
Reluctantly, we sent her on her way late this afternoon, bound for Manchester and the Lake District.

But not before sketching our Hettie:
HETTIE-byLindaWeil.jpg
...and captured her perfectly!

It's suddenly become very quiet and rather boring here... :( ;)
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

What a lovely sketch! I remember when you drew a beautiful portrait of Linda’’s great dane.

I can only imagine the creative energy generated by the two of you spending time together. It sounds like you had a wonderful visit.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thank you Laurene. I cannot express how much I enjoyed my stay with Mike and Jenny. It was just the most enjoyable time and I was sad to leave.
But my Lakes tour was pretty good. Small bus, 10 people, hitting the highlights. But I think my heart lives in Yorkshire.
Here are further sketches from my travel journal.
IMG_20240613_184614962.jpg
Herdwick sheep. These are unique to the Lakes district and have reversed coloration; black wool and white faces
IMG_20240613_213944035.jpg
The castle ridge stone circle. A magical spot
IMG_20240613_222153814.jpg
The UKs smallest house found in Ambleside. 2 rooms on 2 stories where the basket weaver, his wife and 6 kids all lived! How?

These are done with a Lamy pen and wash ink.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. You know, long before I met Mike, I read all of the Creatures Great and Small books, and of course I was hopelessly addicted to the original PBS television series (well, BBC series). I’m enjoying the current series too. I flatter myself to think that I can understand the true Yorkshire accent, but the truth is I can barely keep up with the Scottish one! It truly is beautiful country.

Thanks for sharing your sketches. They’re lovely and have such a peaceful feel to them. I loved the basket weaver story!

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Lol. Honestly Laurene, some of the Northern Scots seemed to speak a completely different language to my ears. But once you 'hear' the melodic way they speak, you soon get the gist. Although I did ask to slow down once or twice.
But a broad Lancashire accent? Today that defeated me. I just nodded my head and pretended I understood. 😂

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:24 pm But a broad Lancashire accent? Today, that defeated me. I just nodded my head and pretended I understood. 😂
It's a pity you didn't hear any really broad Yorkshire accents, Linda... I can't understand more than a few words - and that's after living here for over 30 years.

Do you recall me saying there was (still is) a local counting system for sheep? I could only remember 1 to 5 at the time. We went up Wensleydale, over Buttertubs Pass, and back down Swaledale.

This is the SWALEDALE sheep counting version:

1-5:
Yan, Tan, Tether, Mether, Pip
6-10:
Azar, Sezar, Akker, Conter, Dick
11-15:
Yanadick, Tanadick, Tetheradick, Metheradick, Bumfit
16-20:
Yanabum, Tanabum, Tetherabum, Metherabum, Jigget
Then a pebble is changed from one pocket to another, and the counting resumes. None of the systems count past 20. And all break down into fives for ease of use.

There are many versions up and down the country (apparently, I knew the Derbyshire Dales version), and all are based on the old Celtic languages. If you know Welsh or Cornish, you'll spot the similarities.

Love your Herdwick! We had friends who kept Herdwick, and they're a lovely breed. The course wool was used in carpet making - but worth very little now plastic yarns are available.

And as for the smallest house... well, that's the UK for you. We love "quirky". ;) You've captured it so well, I could walk up those steps and move in.
Mike Sibley