Emily WIP

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Picasso2

Emily WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

I have always wanted to attempt to draw a ballerina, so when my great niece had to pose for a photo prior to her recent ballet concert, this was too good an opportunity to miss.
I have used Stabilo CarbOthella pastel pencils with some Pan Pastel on Art Spectrum ColorFix paper.
Any suggestions re alterations or additions that are needed would be very welcome.
Thanks
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Emily WIP

Post by Mike Sibley »

What an excellent opportunity, Jean!

My initial thought was I'd like to see her face. Overall, the drawing appears to be a little flat, and her face is lost against the background. Then I thought I'd let the auto functions in Affinity Photo have a go at adjusting your image - then I backed off the saturation a little to this:
JEAN-balerina-adjust.jpg
Suddenly, her face lit up, and I'm happy. :)

I don't know how accurate your photo is, or if my alteration is closer to the original. But, based on the latter, she has a natural, solid appearance. The highlights on the fingers very cleverly add grace. The simple shadow grounds her perfectly - absolutely nothing more required. And she looks so elegant.

Are you giving this drawing to your great niece? If you are, she's certain to be far more than delighted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Picasso2

Re: Emily WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks for your prompt response, Mike. Some of it may have been the photography, but I agree her face is a bit lost. I shall try lightening it and see if that helps.
Once again thanks for your helpful comments.
Jean