Wild thing

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
JayS

Wild thing

Post by JayS »

Wow. getting back is challenging. I flunked the audio robot test. Guess I don't speak Celtic!
My wife came into my studio yesterday and said, "I don't know what animal that is,,," I could only stutter, "It's a wild thing!"
In classic parlance the head should be up and the body in a noble pose, So said an artist at a festival. She also said people only buy the best looking animals. People only want the ideal. It makes them feel good. Personally I kind of like scruffy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Wild thing

Post by Mike Sibley »

JayS wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:17 pm In classic parlance, the head should be up and the body in a noble pose, So said an artist at a festival. She also said people only buy the best looking animals. People only want the ideal. It makes them feel good. Personally I kind of like scruffy.
Oh, I SO agree with that, Jay! :)

I love that your horse is being a horse, like our Tom...
TOM.jpg
I've been fighting against conventional thought since I began to draw dogs and went into print.

My Yorkie is scruffy and doesn't wear a pink bow.
My water-loving Newfies are viewed looking inland, and don't have the sea as their background.
My Dachshunds are hunting rabbits, instead of posing in soft beds. OK, they were Badger dogs, but "rabbit" is close enough. :)
And the list goes on.

So, I'm totally in favour of your decision to buck the trend and depict this horse being a horse in its natural environment. It looks perfectly happy in a thoroughly common pose and situation. And this drawing tells me far more about THIS horse and its character than any "standard" or conventional pose might do.

More power to your pencil!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Well, if the test of a good piece of art is that it evokes emotion from the viewer, you’ve succeeded!! I want to reach out and give him a big hug! :D

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

What Laurene and Mike said.
Scruffy is good. Your horse says more to me about the character of horses than a pretty portrait.
Plus, draw what YOU love and like and want to express - don't draw to a 'market'. Its much more fun and satisfying. You may never make a fortune but you will be rich in many other ways.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

I think your horse has so much character! Just love it!