Havanese

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Terri

Havanese

Post by Terri »

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here, a bit nervous. I usually draw in graphite pencil. But I wanted to try a colored pencil piece and this little guy was just screaming for color instead of black/white, what do you think? Done with permission from his owners. Critiques are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terri Mills

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Havanese

Post by Mike Sibley »

Terri wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:46 pm This is my first time posting here, a bit nervous.
WHY?! :shock: It's a very accomplished drawing. ;)
I usually draw in graphite pencil. But I wanted to try a colored pencil piece and this little guy was just screaming for color instead of black/white, what do you think?
I can understand your preference for colour, although that does tend to send my eye to his teddy bear. On the other hand, the bear's looking at the dog, so he's quickly found.

As a rule, I prefer B&W to colour, because colour often gets in the way. We see colour rather than dog. But not in this case. Probably his rough style of hair helps, by forcing us to look more closely for understanding. And the busy hair contrasts so well with that lovely, big, static eye.

I think it's a very courageous drawing - that works.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Terri

Post by Terri »

Thank you very much, Mike .. I truly appreciate your comments/critiques.
I really do want to try this one again, but in graphite. Still my medium of choice!
Terri Mills

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Great piece of colour pencil work Terri! And your first time drawing in CP as well! Excellent.
Mike has some good comments (as usual), but I would add one of my own... ditch the 'black' pencil next time. Black can be a dead colour, same with dark browns. The real pleaseure with CP is to build up the dark colours in layers. So to create a black, start with a cool colour like indigo blue. Then layer over that a deep red. Then perhaps a dark violet or mauve. Add some Paynes grey, or French grey or a cool grey. Then, if needed, add some black. IMO black should always be the last and least used 'color'. (it isn't really a colour at all, rather the darkest tone available to you). If you look around you, you never really see a pure black - even in fur there are blues and red hues.
This layering will add depth and hue to your blacks and stop them appearing flat.
Although MIke says 'colour gets in the way', if you understand that the colour you are using is NOT neccessarily the colour you are seeing nor are you trying to 'find' or match that colour in your set of pencils, but build up to it, you can experience the excitment of working with CP.
I do love graphite, but sometimes a bit of colour just brightens my day!
...as did your drawing. :D