Merry Christmas

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
JayS

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by JayS »

There is more to the story...
A couple of days ago Johnny, the buffalo soldier who blocked my communication called. It seems that over Christmas he was hunting with his boys. They harvested an elk. When they were unloading the elk from their pickup Johnny fell and broke his back. He said that it was just a hairline fracture, so it was no big deal. However, he spent a few days in the hospital and has been going to a chiropractor to make his muscles relax to promote healing. I asked him why he blocked my communication and he said that it was a mistake. He would never unfriend me as we were friends for life. This is his portrait....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JayS

Post by JayS »

More to the story...
Johnny, the buffalo Soldier who blocked me called a couple of days ago. It seems that over Christmas he was hunting with his sons. He harvested an elk and when they were taking it out of their pickup, he fell and broke is back. He said it was only a hairline fracture, but it put him in the hospital of a little bit. He has been going to a chiropractor to get his muscles relaxed to promote better healing. I asked him why he blocked me, and he said that he didn't know because we are friends for life. I sent him a couple of emails to see if they would get through and they did with no problem. We chalked up our experience to a technical glitch in technology. Here is his portrait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JayS

Post by JayS »

Arthur thanks for your thoughts. The human animal is a puzzle and a treasure. In the here and now whatever is just is. All of us want our art to improve over time and be appreciated by those who see it. But the strength of our art is in doing it.
Mike, Thanks for your words of encouragement. I love the comment about the big horn with the straw in his mouth being full of character. Just a few whisps of straw make all the difference.
Laurane, you have given me your wonderful insight into my drawing, Thanks!
Linda, of course you know that your art is amazing. I will be happy to gift you, and all of my friends on the forum, with an original drawing. I have purchased a hundred Strathmore 400 series paper greeting cards that are 5X7" in size. Send me your address and if you have any suggestions as to what you might like, and I'll send you a card. Since I started drawing late in life I never did much drawing from life. The cards are easy to carry and give me a good way to practice drawing what I see from life. Please be patient with me as it takes me several days to do a drawing. You can use the contact feature of the forum to provide a private message.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Linda, of course you know that your art is amazing. I will be happy to gift you, and all of my friends on the forum, with an original drawing. I have purchased a hundred Strathmore 400 series paper greeting cards that are 5X7" in size. Send me your address and if you have any suggestions as to what you might like, and I'll send you a card.
You are very sweet, Jay!
Personally, I love your big horn sheep! Your elk are pretty special too. Thank you for the offer! But I would feel guilty taking your time away from your larger works.
However... if you ever do a print on a card of your sheep or elk, count me in!
kind regards,
Linda

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

I love your drawing of the BIg Horn Sheep, also (and meant to comment on it earlier)! Your portrait is wonderful and really shows such warmth of character. The expressiveness of the portrait is fantastic!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I will be happy to gift you, and all of my friends on the forum, with an original drawing. I have purchased a hundred Strathmore 400 series paper greeting cards that are 5X7" in size. Send me your address and if you have any suggestions as to what you might like, and I'll send you a card.
That is a really kind offer. Although, I'm concerned that you might be flooded with suggestions and addresses.

On the other hand, if you're using the offer as a way of randomly extending your range of subjects, that's an excellent idea.

I have a particular love of boats. Fishing boats - like inshore crab boats, for example - not deep-sea trawlers! :) Or any small, interesting boat, from a little row boat to a small yacht. I used to sail and kayak a lot in my younger days, and I've never lost my fascination with boats and the sea.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net