Christmas wishes

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Christmas wishes

Post by LindasPencils »

Dear Mike and friends,
wishing you all a very happy holiday season - whatever you do, be safe and have fun.
There has been a crash in the Christmas beetle population here over the past few years of drought and climate change, but good news is that this year there has been a return and once more we are seeing them scattered under and around our gum trees in good numbers.
regards,
Linda
3WiseBeetlesDWM.jpg
"Three Wise Christmas Beetles"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Christmas wishes

Post by Laurene »

Merry Christmas to you and yours Linda! And a Merry Christmas to all my old friends here on the forum!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Nice beetles Linda!
I’m happy for them coming back to activity and their very routine - at this point I’m hoping these aren’t parasites (sorry if it might not be a proper word in here) I meant these not necessarily do hurting gum trees?
What is the Latin name please, so I can check what they are 😉👍
HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone ☺️☺️☺️
Art.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

and a Happy New Year to you all.
Pogs, the Christmas beetle is a form of scarab beetle. Here is a link: https://beetleidentifications.com/christmas-beetle/
These are the Golden Brown ones. Yes, they can damage gum (eucalyptus) trees, but generally in situations where there has been heavy logging and clearfelling causing dieback of the tree.
But it seems they are making a bit of a comebck in the Sydney area, and I have seen a few on the ground this year in my walks. None last year at all, so even a few is good.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:37 am and a Happy New Year to you all.
Pogs, the Christmas beetle is a form of scarab beetle. Here is a link: https://beetleidentifications.com/christmas-beetle/
These are the Golden Brown ones. Yes, they can damage gum (eucalyptus) trees, but generally in situations where there has been heavy logging and clearfelling causing dieback of the tree.
But it seems they are making a bit of a comebck in the Sydney area, and I have seen a few on the ground this year in my walks. None last year at all, so even a few is good.
Thank you for link provided so I could have a read some more about these 😉👍
They are beautiful creatures indeed as shown on the photos 😊
You’ve gave me a bit of laughter as well Linda 😉😉😉
It’s when I got to description of their lifespan LARVAE/PUPA(😅!)/EGG.
You know… in my language (polish) the pupa is literally our human’s back end 😅, but said softly in nicer way (opposite to swear/bad word 😉)
Pupa - is commonly in use when talking about newborn babies, children etc., and it’s not offensive word.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Ahemmmm... While we do allow nudity within these pages, inappropriate dress is another matter.

Solved! :)
LINDA-beetle-hat.jpg
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

HAhaHAhaaaa 😉👍
HAPPY 2024 ✌️✌️✌️

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

lol. I didn't see this Mike.
Happy New Year.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too! :D
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life