David in Concert

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
LindasPencils

David in Concert

Post by LindasPencils »

One of the highlights of Camp Creative is the Tuesday night concert featuring Mark Walton and David Helfgott. As well as the fabulous Bellingen Youth String Orchestra!

Anyway, during the concert I took a few phone snaps of David, did a sketch on the back of an old reciept - and took away the program which had a small photo of him as well. Back in class later that week I put all these references together and did a very quick drawing demo of David on Strathmore 180gsm Tan Toned paper in Prismacolour pencils. This was to show layering of colours for skin tones.

I used the sketch for the 'feel', the program for facial reference, the really bad phone shots for his shimmering silver shirt that reflected the purple stage lighting. I did the work during the lunch hour, so inbetween my sandwhich and iced coffee maybe an hour or so?

The hands were really tricky.

Also, its a tablet shot so not a great image. I gave the work to Rob Stockton, the Camp Co-ordinator who is retiring this year. He seemed to like it.
CC colour on tone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: David in Concert

Post by Laurene »

It's amazing to me that you can do something like this in about an hour Linda. There's a strong story here of a man immersed in his music.

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Obviously 2 talented professionals at work here, David and you! Amazing work Linda, with limited resources.
Cheers
Jean

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thanks Laurene. Sometimes it is really freeing to just relax and work fast in scribbles and blocks of hue. His mouth (which isn't very like him) and the hands were both tricky. In the end I settled for the 'feel' of the man playing the piano rather that trying for a super accurate portrait.

thanks Jean, high praise indeed to be put in the same league as David!