Gumtree WIP

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Picasso2

Gumtree WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

Many of you in the Northern Hemisphere may not be familiar with iconic Australian gumtree, but I would be interested in any suggestions as to what alterations or additions may be needed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Gumtree WIP

Post by Mike Sibley »

Picasso2 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:18 am ...but I would be interested in any suggestions as to what alterations or additions may be needed
I wouldn't dare do any such thing! :roll:

While it's true that I don't know what Gumtree looks like... I do now. Thanks to you. And I have no doubt this perfectly represents the species.

It's a drawing that hasn't resorted to unnecessary detail, because the foliage masses, their three-dimensional lighting, and the associated boughs, describe every aspect of the three we need to know and understand.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Mike, you are 100% correct - this is a great drawing - and it was a pleasure for me to watch it come together each Monday night. What Picasso hasn't told you is that it was drawn on a light gray toned paper (brand unknown, about 180gms, given to all in my class) She used graphite pencils in the softer ranges, with touches of white pencil and white pastel to finish it off.
I was really pleased with how Picasso created this drawing. There really wasn't much 'teaching' I could give her. She just picked up those pencils and a embraced the Red Gum Tree in a beautiful tonal drawing.
Picasso is careful artist who likes to spend time on her works - she often worries she is taking too long - but I always say to her that the time doesn't matter, especially when you create such lovely results!

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words, Linda and Mike. Yes, I had intended to mention the paper and medium, Linda but completely forgot about it! Thanks for adding that in. BTW, even though I have learnt so much from you, there is still plenty more that you have to teach me, Linda.
All the best to both of you for Christmas and the New Year.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I’m also appreciate to see every single drawing of you Picasso2, great attention to subtle shading tones, and the overall expression of your artwork, no matter what the subject you may want to pick up.
I wasn’t aware that Linda is your teacher~mentor?!
WOW!
I’m jealous…
I mean it 😉👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks PogArt. Yes, I definitely am lucky to have Linda as a teacher. I have only been attending her classes for a few years, but greatly admire her work and have learnt so much from her.
It's interesting to see the development of your latest subject with the bear and its kill and I look forward to seeing the end result.
All the best for the Festive Season and the New Year.
Jean

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Picasso2 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:50 am Thanks PogArt. Yes, I definitely am lucky to have Linda as a teacher. I have only been attending her classes for a few years, but greatly admire her work and have learnt so much from her.
It's interesting to see the development of your latest subject with the bear and its kill and I look forward to seeing the end result.
All the best for the Festive Season and the New Year.
Jean
Thank you so much dear Jean 😉👍
Best Holiday wishes and a Happy New Year to you too 😊😊😊
Art.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Yes, I definitely am lucky to have Linda as a teacher.
snerk. I am sure Jean doesn't always feel this why - I get a somewhat pushy with her sometimes.
But no pushiness needed with this work! I just sat back and watched it developed in her beautiful, painterly style.
Happy Christmas today Jean - enjoy the day- and enjoy the upcoming skiing trip soon! See you sometime later in the year.
Linda