The DRAWSCOPE ...

Discussions, Questions, Recommendations... on everything to do with PENCILS, PAPERS, and all other TOOLS for any medium; and general DRAWING TECHNIQUES.
PogArtTi

The DRAWSCOPE ...

Post by PogArtTi »

Well, I was following idea of introducing *Camera Lucida thing to my drawing routine, to easy off process of transferring outlines to the paper and encouraging the free hand routine, instead of using today's digital app technologies...
I've found few items recently being manufactured like NeoLucida in USA, or Draw Lucy being made in France.
I prefer the latter, as I saw comparison on YouTube,
and I think it's cheaper and better designed.
Regardless of the above, I've been intrigued seeing something similar, yet different!
The DrawScope.
It's engaging the brain to connect the picture by both eyes, even though each eye is separated by this optic tool...
To be honest I am not sure if it'll help me regarding my reference transfers on the paper (description says it will) but it amazes me so much, just by the way it works!
I'm a big fan of free hand sketching, and this tool can help me check and correct proportion, and yet supporting free hand skills.
I'm not sure if you dear Linda can see any benefits of having it, but I'm keep thinking of advantage it may provide your students when practicing drawing at your class lessons?
Anyway I couldn't stop myself to place the order...
There's a nice review made by an oil painting artist Florent Farges [url] https://youtu.be/saW9GjfyM3g?si=NDIzzZnAuDYXmEX8, and few less professional reviews if you just would like to put "DrawScope" to the YT search engine.
I hope you may find it interesting, at least to be aware such tool exists?
You see, I have had no clue about it until just yesterday!?
Therefore I felt the tension to share it, because this simplistic optic tool is very unique, and it's taking me back to old masters times, where they were using whatever was possible to support their artwork - in most cases just mirror reflections, and based on it tools 😉
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: The DRAWSCOPE ...

Post by PogArtTi »

I have received the item, I've opened the box to have a look - and I regret the purchase...
I'm aware I didn't spent time to study it, but I'm not sure if it'll help me trace the seeing reference...
Yes I can see the *mirrored picture - but when I'm trying make a moves with the index finger as I'd holding the pencil - I'm struggling to see my finger sharp, it's more faded rather, so it might be alright for the mass figure tracing, but details?
I'm after details, so at this point this item fails to fit my purpose.
I'm also syruggling to see benefits of checking proportion, what if my drawing sketch is larger than the reference photo itself...
No, I was wrong going to get it.
It isn't for me.
I doubt you might be interested Linda to get it for use at your class lessons either...
It's rather expensive, and it won't provide much of benefits to have it...
At least I've tried it, I've checked whatit is - so I can return it and sleep well now, knowing I gave it a go (lol 😉).
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I've got, and have used, the LUCY. Used only once, for the video, but it worked as well as I thought it might.

You'll find the footage and demo in: GUIDELINE DEVICES (starts at 1:50)

There is also a "$10 off" code you can use when purchasing.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:43 pm I've got, and have used, the LUCY. Used only once, for the video, but it worked as well as I thought it might.

You'll find the footage and demo in: GUIDELINE DEVICES (starts at 1:50)

There is also a "$10 off" code you can use when purchasing.
Thank you Mike for stepping by…
This is exactly how I ended up with this Drawscope.
It’s started with Lucy.
Well, anyway, it’s all story now as the item is going back.
Mike, I just tried to login to draw space, but I’m struggling it’s not letting me in.
But please don’t think much about it because I’ve changed my email address back again to the previous one…
It’s old story.
I’ve upgraded the mobile phone to an iPad.
It’s long time, I haven’t had any device I mean iOS, so I messed up with setting up account, and this is how I find out YouTube removed the block of my previous account that means my appeal was successful.
Mike, using now an iPad. I shouldn’t have any more any trouble regarding the IP address getting suspended.
I believe I had some malware on the old phone android based, but now on this iPad, there’s no any apps moved from the old phone what means the malware shouldn’t have affect this device anymore.
You know our friend Laurene…, she’s using iPad and Procreate app for her art, and that was the point to let me practice sketching on such device.
So I’m just about to start sharing my digital sketching once again.
But I’m not about Procreate in here. It’s about Camera Lucida app.
This app can do same thing what the Lucy does.
That was another point to get this iPad.
Thank you very much Mike.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I'm not sure if you dear Linda can see any benefits of having it, but I'm keep thinking of advantage it may provide your students when practicing drawing at your class lessons?

Hi Pogs!
Thank you for thinking of me, you are sweet.
I haven't used a Lucy for many, many years now, but it can be very handy for establishing your initial lines and proportions as unlike a photo it does not suffer from a great deal of lens distortion.
This Drawscope thingy looks interesting, but my vision is not what it used to be, and I suspect that I would see double images, blurred edges, etc. It would be fun to try, but I would not spend the money on it - especially after your review!
While I personally DO NOT have any philosophical objections to any means or methods an artist uses to establish their concepts, proportions and outlines, where I teach it is expected that students will be taught observational drawing - 'tracing' using these methods causes backroom mutterings. Traditional freehand drawing techniques are encouraged. Yes, I know these devices have been used for a long time and could be considered 'traditional', but that is not what is expected.
That being said, some of my students use these methods in their home studio, which works for them well! And in many ways, it actually can assist them when doing pure observational drawing. Using a Lucy frees them from the concern of 'getting it right' and at the same time seems to reinforce in their minds the proportions for later free hand work. Curious!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:40 pm Thank you for thinking of me, you are sweet.
ALWAYS !!! 😊
as unlike a photo it does not suffer from a great deal of lens distortion.

That was under my consideration 😉

This Drawscope thingy looks interesting, but my vision is not what it used to be,
Same here! (Lol)
and I suspect that I would see double images, blurred edges, etc.

This is the case, (lol 😅), so I've returned it 😉👍
but I would not spend the money on it - especially after your review!

You very welcome! 😉👍

While I personally DO NOT have any philosophical objections to any means or methods an artist uses to establish their concepts, proportions and outlines,

I thought that it's very cheating using any tools for establishing outlines, other than free hand and ball eye method...
It's changed a bit since I found out many artists do use tools ...
I do appreciate my skill of free hand drawing a lot, just being a bit lazy practicing it enough, but I do.
The only case when I'm very after any tool to support me with outlines is usually commissioned drawing...
Especially somebody's face...
I just don't like thinking of possibility to have any proportion error - using tool for outlines is providing me a peace of mind, that I have all the face features just right...

Thank you for stepping by to read and comment in here dear friend 😊

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I do appreciate my skill of free hand drawing a lot, just being a bit lazy practicing it enough, but I do.
Not lazy, practical. As you say, you use tools especially when doing a commission to ensure features are correct first time.
These tools SAVE TIME... and at our age (*ahem, my age, and my students ages*), we really don't have the time to waste anymore!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:19 pm These tools SAVE TIME... and at our age (*ahem, my age, and my students ages*), we really don't have the time to waste anymore!
I will keep your words to work for my excuse - I really like it Linda 😊😊😊
I've had a meeting in my home town Sosnowiec with few friends from my primary school...
We just got in touch in adulthood few years ago (before covid) and it seems we enjoy our companion a lot since 😊
Today it was obvious that each of us needs glasses for reading 😅
Yeah...
Calendar doesn't lie 😄😄😄
We do appreciate having tools now 😅😊😉👍