Dog Nose Study

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
DanielG

Dog Nose Study

Post by DanielG »

Here is a study of a dog nose. critiques welcomed . This was taken with my iPad, so it may not be that great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Garwood

A Plane that comes down faster then it goes up has absolutely no resale value! - Zig Zigler

PogArtTi

Re: Dog Nose Study

Post by PogArtTi »

I like your study and attention to the detail.
You can try improve the LHS of the nostril though, which is less convincing of being 3D form - it does look flatter (2D alike) in comparison to the other.
Well done, it's a good study!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

PogArtTi wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:41 am I like your study and attention to the detail.
thank you
You can try improve the LHS of the nostril though, which is less convincing of being 3D form - it does look flatter (2D alike) in comparison to the other.
I'll see if I can improve on this and repost, thank you for you advice.
Dan Garwood

A Plane that comes down faster then it goes up has absolutely no resale value! - Zig Zigler

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's OK, you welcome.
You've done amazingly good job on the other side - just repeat it 😉👍
Shape the edges with graphite shading as you would while making a clay figurine study - you've got the skills and good eye already, just do not rush it up, repeat the quality job 👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

PogArtTi wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:31 pm It's OK, you welcome.
You've done amazingly good job on the other side - just repeat it 😉👍
Shape the edges with graphite shading as you would while making a clay figurine study - you've got the skills and good eye already, just do not rush it up, repeat the quality job 👍
thank you for your kind words. I have been r=practicing Mike;sexercise, here is the upgraded nose
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Garwood

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

DanielG- to me it's really improved, as you've spent even more time digging deeper into subtle light/dark aspects - and it isn't any easy work to do!
I know it well, as I'm dealing with the dog nose myself too! I'm keep trying to improve it, and I'm not too happy with the efekt yet 😉
So far, I think your nose is superior to what I have done on the paper - congratulations!!!
While giving you a bit of my personal suggestion, I meant the part to be improved as pictured below.
It is coming out from the dark to the light as arrow is pointing the direction.
You have improved now not only that part, but the whole structure too, and to me it is much much better looking than before!
Well done DanielG, I'm impressed!
I'm keep learning myself all the time, and trying to keep improving my skills endlessly.
I'm curious what other artists will advice you, what they say seeing your skills showed in here.
Especially our guru artist dear Mike, who's an expert to my eyes regarding drawing dogs 🐕.
Best regards my friend!
Art.

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

Thank you. I believe I have come a long way since joining in December.I think it is time to try a whole animal. I will continue to learn and push myself to do better.
Dan Garwood

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

DanielG wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:30 pm Thank you. I believe I have come a long way since joining in December.I think it is time to try a whole animal. I will continue to learn and push myself to do better.
The more you practice the more confident you get.
I think you're doing amazing job, so don't be afraid push your limits, as this is the way to get better and better.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

There's some good work going on here. You've interpreted, rather than copy, and that approach is the one you should always be aiming for. Even if the result looks just like the reference, you've still gone through the process of understanding what you're drawing.

The three-dimensional form works well, too.

This was going to be a tip for you... but you've corrected the fault in your update. :roll: ;) For what it's worth, the tip was: Look at those horizontal marks you've drawn across the vertical front of the nose. They are lines, but they should be creases or valleys, as you can see in the reference. Now look at the reference closely, and you'll see that all of those creases have a highlight running just beneath the dark line of the crease. Including those highlights is vital, because they tell the viewer "this is a crease, not a mark on the surface". Because that’s the only way those highlights could exist. Omit them, and your creases become dark lines drawn on the surface.

Looking at your update, you've made a huge jump forwards. I feel you were drawing what you knew, rather than just what you thought you could see.

If you're planning on drawing a whole animal, handle it in the same way. Concentrate on one part, understand it, and then draw. If you attempt to draw too big an area, you'll just form a generalised overview - and an overview is what you'll draw.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net