Hello from Western Australia

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Graphite Pencil masterworks here!

Moderator: ElaineH

Boblines

Hello from Western Australia

Post by Boblines »

Hello, This is my first post and my courier is a Yellow Rumped Thornbill- like me, a resident of Western Australia.

Have been painting and drawing most of my life. It has always been fun; now, being on my own for the first time in 64 years, it is my solace.

Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Western Australia

Post by Mike Sibley »

Welcome to DWM, Bob! This is not just a delightful drawing - it's a carefully balanced composition too.

Everything about this works exceedingly well - including the omission of a background that would most probably just cause confusion and add nothing to the narrative.

I've taken the liberty of adjusting the background back to white, and increasing the size, because I feel this needs to be properly appreciated.
BOB-Thornbill.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi Bob. It’s nice to meet you.

This is such a lovely drawing! I find birds’ feet especially difficult to draw and you’ve rendered them beautifully here. As Mike said, your composition is so well balanced. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your artwork!

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

Thank you so much. I had trouble posting the image - it was far to large so I had to reduce it. In doing so it became a little distorted- a little stretched horizontally. Thank you Mike too for cleaning up the background. Derwent 2H - 8B on Bristol Clairfontaine.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Boblines wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:15 am Thank you so much. I had trouble posting the image - it was far too large, so I had to reduce it.
Aim for a maximum of 1000 pixels wide and 5000px high, and a file size below 1MB. In that respect, it helps if you scan (or reduce your scan or photo) to 72 ppi, which is monitor resolution. And, if there is no colour involved, reduce from RGB colour to Greyscale.

To insert it as a full size image into the text, upload it as you did (the simplest way is to drag and drop it into the text box). Click in your text where you want your image to appear. Then, alongside its entry under "attachments" click the "display inline" button.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It is so beautifully drawn artwork Bob.
It's very detailed, and furthermore the shading is pristine and smooth transition from dark to light...
Congratulations!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*