Small Format Sculptures

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Small Format Sculptures

Post by LindasPencils »

I have been working for the past 18 months or so on small 3D works. You can see my latest wire sculpture in the Color pencil forum. Here are some other samples of a few of the pieces I have created and my sculpture journey that began during Covid lock downs.
IMG_20220327_090622097.jpg
I began using Staedler FIMO air dry clay. This is a great medium that doesn't require you using your oven. The initial shapes are formed around a Styrofoam egg form in the clay. Once dry, cold painted with Liquitex professional acrylic paint, some copper leaf, then sealed with FIMO gloss varnish and secured to a stained pine slice.
wallyDWM.jpg
To practice my clay shaping techniques I did a variety of animal sculptures of family and friends pets, dog, cat, and finally this rabbit, Wally as a memorial piece for a friends dear pet rabbit that was chomped by a fox. You can see the images in the background I used as reference on my computer screen.
Echinda_DWM.jpg
Doing something a bit more complex as I gained confidence in the medium. An echidna. Same materials as above (no copper). The 'log' is a piece of wood from my dying backyard plum tree, sealed, stained and varnished. This work won 3rd place at the VAS Autumn art show last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: Small Format Sculptures

Post by LindasPencils »

An artist friend gave me some Paper Magiclay to try! https://magiclay.com.au/ This is fun stuff, it is really a refined version of paper mâché. Easy to use, but not as refined for detail as the FIMO.
OwlDWM.jpg
Here I have created a mask based on 'The Owl Service' novel by Alan Garner. Using a commercially made white mask, layers and shapes created with the Magiclay. Once the forms were built up (feathers cut with nail scissors), and fully dried, cold painted with Liquitex acrylic, then varnished with FIMO gloss varnish. It is very light weight.
MorthbroodDWM.jpg
Paper Magiclay again, as above. This is one of the Svart Alfar Morthbrood from Garner's 'The Weirdstone of Brisingamen'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

And finally, I started with wire sculpting. Like any new medium, we learn from reading, watching youtube videos, talking to Mike, etc. This work was done following the instructions of Angels Wire Art video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU4H6Bw6ju0
Weil_DragonflyDWM.jpg
Brass wire, 22gauge for the body. Copper wire 32gauge for the wing infill. Copper screws for eyes. Natural quartz crystal base.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm so pleased to see these here. Yesterday, I followed the link you supplied to the VAS, and I zeroed in on your profile and thoroughly enjoyed all the work I'd not seen before.

And now I can view it anytime that I want my spirits lifting! You have a wonderful sense of adventure and creativity. Lovely! :D
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Yes, everything Mike said! I love them all but I have to say that your wire sculptures are especially beautiful, like hand sculpted jewelry.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:41 pm ...but I have to say that your wire sculptures are especially beautiful, like hand sculpted jewelry.
The perfect description! :)

What I can't get my head around is that, superficially, they look simple, but are really very complex. I mean, the Ballet Dancer's got tiny fingers and thumbs, but how the heck do you work out how to attach them without it being noticeable? There's a lot of skill hidden in those pieces.
LINDA-WIRE-Dancer.jpg
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

And now I can view it anytime that I want my spirits lifting!
😘 Many thanks Mike - happy to lift your spirits! btw, I am now 'officially' represented by Tacit Art Galleries here in Melbourne/Collingwood. You can see a wide scope of my work on their website: https://www.tacitart.com.au/collections/linda-weil
(Not the sculptures yet). Just for a little more spirit lifting!
but how the heck do you work out how to attach them without it being noticeable
The trick is... you don't attach them as a separate piece. You work with long pieces of wire that you bend up, then back down on themselves, twisting and forming as you go, then wrapping back down the arm and securing to the torso. So each hand and foot is part of one long piece of wire that is integral to the body form. It took a bit of thinking about to get right, and I can still improve on it further.
Thank you Laurene - I want to do a few more dancer poses in the next few months. But I might try copper wire next, the brass wire is surprisingly stiff to work with even in the thinner gauges. My fingers got a bit sore, even with using the needle nose pliers most if the twisting and bending is done using your fingers and hands.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I bet I posted the comment already dear Linda, complimenting your skills and unique creativity and many other such positivity aspects - and I'm confused now - seeing not any evidence of my post.

I think I know what's happened - my post must have been blocked 🚫, then I must forgotten to try later again...
Sorry!

I'm always impressed by your artwork Linda!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*