Layering?

Join a discussion, suggest suitable subjects, or ask Mike questions about the videos.
ClaireO

Layering?

Post by ClaireO »

I’ve watched the layering vid and a little confused as to what the difference is between layering and burnishing. Also it makes perfect sense how it’s advisable due to the clay content to always start with the softer grades and then layer (burnish?) with harder ones but how does one know/choose which of the softer leads (assuming we’re only choosing between the recommended 2B or 4B) to actually start the drawing with? Thirdly should one blend after each layer or only at the very end of final determined hardnesses laid down? Thank you.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Layering?

Post by Mike Sibley »

ClaireO wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:47 pm I’ve watched the layering vid and a little confused as to what the difference is between layering and burnishing.
You're not the first to ask. And I've asked questions about it myself in the past, too. ;)

And the answer is: there is no difference between layering and burnishing. :o

Except… the intention.

I tend to use Layering when I apply one grade over another to produce a darker value.

And Burnishing when the important action is removing all the white to produce a really solid and smooth value. Although, Layering and Burnishing both produce the same result.

I think my use of the terms stems from my book. I found if I wrote about burnishing while introducing you to simple layering, it caused confusion. Calling it only Burnishing might make you wonder why, as we were only layering one grade over another. And calling it only Layering removes the idea of smoothing and polishing.

So, it's just semantics: they essentially mean the same thing.
Also it makes perfect sense how it’s advisable due to the clay content to always start with the softer grades and then layer (burnish?) with harder ones, but how does one know/choose which of the softer leads (assuming we’re only choosing between the recommended 2B or 4B) to actually start the drawing with?
Experience will quickly teach you that. It's easier for me, because I only use 2B, HB and 2H. So, it really depends on what you're trying to create. For example, you might begin with a light layer of 4B and burnish with an HB. Or perhaps you begin with a heavy layer of 2B - because you want to avoid the graininess of 4B. Again, I'd burnish that with HB. In fact, I'de burnish any soft grade with HB. And burnish the HB with 2H.

There's little point in burnishing, say, 6B with 4B, because the 4B is too soft to really affect it. The HB is sufficiently hard to spread the softer grade and fill the pits in the paper.
Thirdly, should one blend after each layer or only at the very end of final determined hardnesses laid down?
I would recommend you never blend, unless you have a viable reason to do so. Layering/burnishing will produce a smooth surface. Blending will knock the life out of it, and lighten the overall value. Blend when you NEED to (flawless skin, skies, etc) but not otherwise.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

ClaireO

Re: Layering?

Post by ClaireO »

You definitely made me laugh Mike when you wrote “I’ve asked myself this same thing”. 😆. Thank you for such a thorough answer. Makes total sense now! 🤓