Hidden Heart

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

Re: Hidden Heart

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:22 pm Ultimately, the human eye, or mind, will read the darkest value as black, no matter how black it really is. That said, a weak black will still be seen as black, but probably suggest a cloudy or overcast day, rather than one with bright sunlight. And will result in a 'flat' drawing with little depth.
Hi Mike, I appreciate your point about the eye/mind reading the darkest value as black no matter how black it is (along with the flat drawing issue). I will be interested in your comments about the black Cat Portrait that I just posted since I am struggling with the blacks and highlights. Its still in progress.
I also wanted to comment on your earlier post. I agree that other perspectives are important and I certainly did learn things from JD.
Also, I would LOVE for you to come to the US for a farewell tour!!! (I do hope your migraines improve). OR if you don't return, maybe I should come to England to attend one of your workshops again!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

kwheller wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:41 am I will be interested in your comments about the black Cat Portrait that I just posted, since I am struggling with the blacks and highlights.
I just did that for you. :)
Also, I would LOVE for you to come to the US for a farewell tour!!! (I do hope your migraines improve). OR if you don't return, maybe I should come to England to attend one of your workshops again!
Well, we're getting old and not enjoying the travelling itself. But I'd love to travel to the US one last time - and I'm not ruling it out. JD and I have talked a few times about running back-to-back workshops, and I'd still like to do that. Maybe another on the East Coast or Florida, and a final workshop in Canada. And 2-day workshops rather than 3-day.

This year, I'm not running any workshops at all. Having lost over two months to migraine, I'm so far behind with sprucing our place up after Winter, it's looking too run-down to invite anyone here.

But I sincerely hope to be running Studio workshops here again next year. We even have "The Burrows" self-catering accommodation available on-site. And, of course, being at home, I have everything we might need to hand. So, any workshop might branch off in any direction... and they often do. ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:08 pm But I'd love to travel to the US one last time - and I'm not ruling it out. JD and I have talked a few times about running back-to-back workshops, and I'd still like to do that.
I understand about the difficulty traveling to put on a workshop when you are older. A back to back workshop with JD would be great! Any location in US sounds good to me ( although I can drive to Florida).

Well, I didn't realize you weren't holding workshops there at this time (obviously I have not checked that part of your website in quite awhile). I get multi-day migraines that make it impossible to do anything, but your cluster migraines sound dreadful. Even if you start doing them again, it's so unlikely I would make it to England anyway. ( Hope you are doing better).

Enjoying your videos and I am often referring to your book. Thanks for all you do!

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Well, I didn't realize you weren't holding workshops there at this time
but Mike's videos fill the gap admirably. It isn't quite the same as one on one with him, but he will always help here on the forum!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

LindasPencils wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:40 am Mike's videos fill the gap admirably. he will always help here on the forum!
Excellent point Linda! The videos are great and the feedback on the forum is invaluable!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's very interesting drawing, to fill the background up with the darks is not an easy task, and you have succeeded - well done You!
Best regards.
Art.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*