Is this a suitable reference?

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Is this a suitable reference?

Post by Mike Sibley »

JulianC wrote: It's years since I've done a dog portrait! Do you think this photo is good enough? And if so, what would you do with the grass?
JULIAN-LabRef-orig.jpg
If that's the way your client sees their dog, Julian, then that's OK. As it's a recognised breed, you can trawl the Internet for other dogs to provide detail. I'd be wary of reproducing the gum and teeth detail too faithfully - been there, done that, not popular :roll: :oops:

Hmmm... is the field on a slope? Or is the camera tilted? Looking at the leaning trunks of the trees, I'm fairly confident the field is flat, and the photo rotated. Rotating it back to level gives me a better feeling for what I could do with this.
JULIAN-LabRef-level.jpg
As for the grass... I think you have to include some, if only to account for the dog being on a "slope". Personally, I'd draw the dog first, leaving white blades where the grass overlaps. Then I'd expand the grass outwards (not necessarily in the complex way that it appears in the photo) until I felt the balance was OK. I'd also want to fade it away as soon as possible to prevent it from drawing attention away from the dog.

Also, I think this is a hay meadow and the dog's laying on cut grass. Personally, I like the grass to the right of the dog, and I'd favour repeating that to the left... but you can't - because the hay is bunched up into a mass that's hiding the belly and rear leg.

That said, if you rotate the photo anti-clockwise (as I did above), so the tree trunks are upright, I think you'll find the grass to be much less of a problem. You can pull more detail out if you sharpen it. And, as you can see above, I think it looks OK when rotated back to a level horizon, which causes fewer problems with the hay.

I hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Re: Is this a suitable reference?

Post by LindasPencils »

Rotating the photo is good. As well, I always want to see the photo in color. Color gives more information to me on the tonal values of the hues, where a black and white photo tends to flatten them out. IMO, it is always helpful to use both - black/white if you need it, but personally I always a color ref by preference before b/w. So find a color ref online if you can.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Is this a suitable reference?

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:07 pm ...I always want to see the photo in color. Color gives more information to me on the tonal values of the hues, where a black and white photo tends to flatten them out. IMO, it is always helpful to use both - black/white if you need it, but personally I always a color ref by preference before b/w. So find a color ref online if you can.
I'm 100% in agreement.

I often find detail easier to study and extract in B&W. Probably because it lacks the distraction of colour.

But colour is essential as the main reference. If only because B&W can fool you into copying values, where they have to be interpreted in colour. And, of course, you can't follow colour through areas of shadow in B&W, not to mention the other information you're probably losing too.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net