Paper

Discussions, Questions, Recommendations... on everything to do with PENCILS, PAPERS, and all other TOOLS for any medium; and general DRAWING TECHNIQUES.
leeds1

Paper

Post by leeds1 »

I cannot find the Conqueror Diamond White paper in the US. Is there an equivalent brand available in the US or a place to get the Conqueror shipped from in the UK??

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Paper

Post by Mike Sibley »

leeds1 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:43 pm I cannot find the Conqueror Diamond White paper in the US. Is there an equivalent brand available in the US or a place to get the Conqueror shipped from in the UK??
You can buy Conqueror Diamond White from my shop (minimum order: 5 sheets). I usually buy 600 sheets and have it always in stock. However...

The manufacturer recently went out of business. The company that supplies the company I buy it from has taken over production. I should be receiving samples soon, because the 250gsd weight I stock will no longer be available.

If you'd like to order 10 sheets. I can manage that at present.

The same company is also taking over production of Olin. I have sample sheets of Olin 240gsm Ultimate White by my side, ready for appraisal. I'm 90% certain you can buy Olin the States. It was Conqueror's main contender when I was deciding which to stock when Tullis-Russel, who made Mellotex, was shut down.

So, try Olin, or try email me to order Conqueror (because it's temporarily unavailable in my shop). You can still read the detail here.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

leeds1

Post by leeds1 »

Thanks Mike. I’ll try to source Olin in the US and I’ll email you regarding an order of 10 sheets. In the meantime I found a pad of paper in my draw recently, that I haven’t used yet, but thought might work. (I actually purchased more for fine ink pen drawing!).It is Fabriano 1264, Bristol Smooth, bright white 100lb/270 gsm. I have made a few small practice sketches/exercises on it and it feels like it takes heavy indenting and heavy graphite pencil layering well. Are you familiar with this paper or any tips on how to further test it out?

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I just checked myself, and you're correct... it seems Antalis will be the only manufacturers. I was positive it was a New York paper when I was looking for a Mellotex replacement.

I'm really not qualified to comment on Fabriano. But it's smooth, so that helps, because it minimises any annoying surface texture. I haven't drawn on Bristol paper since my college days, but I used to find it rather "spongy" due to its softer core. But that was 55 years ago, so maybe it's better now :)
Bristol Smooth, bright white 100lb/270 gsm. I have made a few small practice sketches/exercises on it, and it feels like it takes heavy indenting and heavy graphite pencil layering well.
In that case, it all sounds good. My only reservation is that it probably hasn't got the long-grain structure of Conqueror or Olin, so it won't be quite as robust. And both those papers are plate-finish, so the Fabriano probably isn't as smooth.
Mike Sibley

leeds1

Post by leeds1 »

You are correct, the Fabriano does have a slight spongy feel to it but I’ll give it a try and post results after I finish current portrait. Looking forward to receiving the other paper from you.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Good news! I hope. ;)

I have samples of Olin now in 230gsm weight.

Conqueror should be fully available soon and samples are in the mail to me. But Conqueror 250gsm has been abandoned, so it has to be either 160 or 320 gsm. While you might think 320 would be a good substitute for 250... it's almost one and half times heavier, and that could greatly affect the shipping cost.

The Conqueror should be with me early next week, and then I'll run a joint assessment on them from the viewpoint of drawing.

Cost could also be a factor, but that's totally unknown at present. As the original manufacturer went out of business, I have to assume Antalis will be charging more.

More news as soon as I have it available to test.
Mike Sibley

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Yes, Fabriano is a tad spongy. The 'Artistico Bright White' is the best and slickest, but it still is somewhat soft. Make sure when you are using it that you have nothing under it (no other pages from a pad or extra paper). A hard surface beneath can help.
Actually, I have progressed to a slightly softer surface paper - Lana Hotpress. This is because I have been using wash techniques as a under drawing base. Fabriano has a coating on it that can cause uneven washes and puddling, where the Lana doesn't have such a thick coating and the washes sink in better and blend well. The surface is still smooth enough for drawing after, although you do need to pay attention to keeping your pencils very, very, dangerously sharp to achieve crisp lines.